Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SSR hybrid upgrade finished...with problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR hybrid upgrade finished...with problems

Just finished my ssr hybrdid build and installed it over the weekend. Took it out for a test drive and had some problems upon testing. The problems may be related but not sure. There is a whine coming from the transmission and after shifting into 5th and 6th i can feel the shifter moving.

My setup is a ssr mainshaft (new), 1pc countershaft (new), mm6 gearset (used), input shaft (used), ssr tailhousing (new), bearings (new). Preload set at .0035 on mainshaft and countershaft.

Transmission whines in neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th. Whine goes away when clutch is pressed in and in 4th. Input shaft was used but did not show excessive wear and did not whine in previous setup.

5th and 6th gear are strange. They go into gear fine but i can feel the shifter moving when I accelerate. When I deccelerate it moves in the opposite direction. It does not move but maybe 1/8". It doesn't feel like it wants to pop out but it is definantly moving. This only happens in 5th and
6th however.

I'm thinking my preload is off and causing both problems. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't mention tailhousing, 5th, 6th, nor the 6th spacer. Any pics of the buildup?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if the above post was misleading. I'm using a brand new ssr tailhousing, with used 5th, 6th gears, and countershaft spacers. I don't have pics of the build but I will when I tear the transmission apart again.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious why/how you have used 5,6 gears but needed a new 1pc counter? Unless your donor was an C6-z06 with a broken countershaft.

The whining sounds like a pilot issue. Was the pilot replaced with the swap?

The shifter moving is typical of a trans mount. There's no real way the shifter will move internally without moving out of gear.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

ahh. I see the confusion now. Yes my donor 2007 z06 trans had a broken 3rd gear on the countershaft as well as the 3rd drive gear. The pilot bushing was replaced with a pilot bearing before rebuild transmission was put in.

As far as the trans mount goes I did have a problem upon installing the ssr tailhousing. I'm sure that you were aware of this but I didn't encounter it while reading the hybrid pdf. The ssr tailhousing mounting pad for the trans mount is clocked differently than the f-body style. I haven't measured it but it is noticiably angled up towards the passenger side of the car. In addition the shifter base is angled more towards the driver on the top side. Perhaps the angle is effecting my trans mount more than I thought.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Update: Finally tore the trans out and did some investigating. After completely tearing the trans apart I found the source of the trans whine.

I used marking compound on my new 1 piece countershaft and the used input gear. After looking at the gear contact patch I decided to replace the input gear. The trans was re-assembled, installed, and tested. The whine completely went away and drives great.

I am still having the moving shifter problem and saw nothing out of the ordinary during my second tear down.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you know the trans has the (bronze?) gate that controls the shift pattern at the top of the center housing. Unless it was worn or something loose I'd imagine your whole trans is moving. Can you remove the shift boot and any other cover to see the trans while driving?

Quick Reply: SSR hybrid upgrade finished...with problems