Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hole in bellhousing.. Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hole in bellhousing.. Repair?

Today I was changing my oil and found a hole in my bellhousing. It looks like a bolt shot straight out of it or something.. Maybe a pressure plate bolt? I need to make a trip in a few weeks and can't exactly get a bellhousing right now, nor do I have the time to pull the transmission. Any idea if it's possible to tack some sort of flashing over it and weld around it to cover it for the time being?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't drive it till it's fixed. If 1 bolt fell off surely more are to follow. Might leave you stranded
Old 05-02-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
I wouldn't drive it till it's fixed. If 1 bolt fell off surely more are to follow. Might leave you stranded
...or worse. I've seen some pretty bad videos of what happens when a clutch or pressure plate comes apart at high RPM. Try to imagine what your leg would look like if what ever shrapnel punched that hole did it with enough velocity to penetrate the trans tunnel. No way in hell would I even start this car. Fix it first. You've been lucky so far. I wouldn't push it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks like I'm just going to grab some ARP pressure plate bolts, just in case, and get this trans pulled next week to inspect it. I'm now able to clear some time to do it. What about a repair on the bellhousing? I know of a very good local welder here than can do this type of aluminum. I'm thinking he can patch it up to at least seal it from the outside. If i wasn't going on vacation this month, I'd say hell with it and get an SFI housing.

Last edited by HoLLo; 05-02-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

could you post a picture for us?

Quick Reply: Hole in bellhousing.. Repair?