Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

MAF Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF Options

SO, I think I want to get off of the SD (speed density) setup and go back to a maf, but I hear the stock is restrictive above 800. This may sound assbackwards to some people, but up here in Denver there are a lot of factors which make make it hard to run right with just the SD setup... for example,lately anytime weather gets nice (above 70), the car runs dangerously lean in the afternoon on lowboost where it used to run in the low 11's on the afr... aslo get a weird hickup that only started when the maf got deleted

What are options for upgrading, found some chatter about a 100mm but not much info... Ideally, would like something that will support 1100WHP, eventually...

All thoughts are welcome, thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea if this is feasible or not, but if you can use the maf out of a newer dmax you should be easily able to accurately read airflow. The amount of air my twin screw dmax eats in the quarter is considerably higher than anything you will be pulling. I think the limiting factor would be (don't quote me on this, just a thought) your tables and the ability to tune for said maf.

Edit: the aforementioned maf is a newer slot style.

Last edited by Dmax/04V; 05-02-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LS7 is the best you can get and it's a card style. You are much better off with the 2 BAR SD system. Either you or your tuner (or both) should get ahold of Ed Hutchings and see if he can get your tune straightened out. He does distance tuning and is one of the best bar none in the LS tuning arena.

Get what you have optimized before you condemn it.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Lingenfelter 104mm MAF. I have no problem with airflow. it was not plug & play
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, you should not be having any issues with SD.
A dialed in proper SD will always be better than MAF.
Hitachi slot MAF works (that is the LS7) ... your problem and nightmare tuning will be when you have to scale dozens of tables to stay below the 511g/sec., including injectors. The other is running larger tubes to slow the velocity down, but then idle is a PITA.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vmapper
I agree, you should not be having any issues with SD.
A dialed in proper SD will always be better than MAF.
Hitachi slot MAF works (that is the LS7) ... your problem and nightmare tuning will be when you have to scale dozens of tables to stay below the 511g/sec., including injectors. The other is running larger tubes to slow the velocity down, but then idle is a PITA.
Ok I'll try and work out current issues before giving up on SD, thanks to everyone.

Quick Reply: MAF Options