Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinding and rough going into every gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding and rough going into every gear

in serious need of help. around mid july of 2012 i had a tick lvl 1 rebuild done on the t56 in my 2000 ss camaro. it is pretty much a stock car except for a few
bolt on's . my wife rides the car to her job frequently and is pretty much been babied on. the only time the car is given the throttle is when i occasionally drive it on the weekends,and the car has shifted great ever since the rebuild. we were coming home from grocery shopping yesterday, and on the way back about 5 miles from home, thankfully, the car had a rough time going into 6th gear with some growl and then i noticed it was doing it in every gear and seemed to me that the clutch wasent engaging. when i got it home, i put the car in neutral while running and pressed the clutch petal and let off a few times and when i engaged the clutch it made a slight growl sound. is this problem clutch related? or something even more serious, any help would be awsome thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm confused you say it grinds I'm every gear in the title but nothing about that in the description. If it's grinding in every gear and also growling when the clutch goes in it sounds like it could be an engagement issue.

Put the car in 1st and push the clutch in and redline it and see if the car moves forward. If it creeps at all the clutch isn't disengaging
Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Default thanks

my bad i should have made it more clear, after the car scratched 6th i eased it home and it started growling a little in every gear and i noticed the noise when i engaged and disengaged the clutch in neutral, but i did what you told me, put it in 1st and held the clutch to the floor and reved it to 5 the car tried to inch forward just as u said, what could be the engagement problem tho? clutch gone? possibly master cylinder? thanks for the help it means alot!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya man no prob. This means a couple things since it just started out of nowhere it sounds like your slave or master are on their way out. Maybe try bleeding it first and see if that helps.

If not disconnect the clutch line from the slave and the master should feel very firm. Apply moderate pressure to the pedal and wait if over the course of a few mins the clutch sinks to the floor the master is bad. If not it may be the slave.

How many miles are on the clutch? It could also be on it's way out. Try not to drive the car till you get it sorted out as grinding will hurt the trans.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM

iam going to try and bleed it in the next few hours and see if it helps, when i first got the car it had around 107000 on it and the guy i got it from said they had a new clutch put in it at a dealer not long before i bought it off him it grinded going into 4th when i first got it so i dunno if he had one put in or not. i also put a maste rcylinder from advance on it also when i first got it. the car now has 119000 on it , it was doing fine on the way to the grocery store then on the way back just started acting up
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

sounds like clutch master cylinder..if its original. i had a Rockland Standard Gear Tranziila T56 rebuild in mine along with a new slave, but kept the stock master cylinder and the clutch was ok. your symptoms sound like what i have now...im getting the clutch master replaced and then going from there.
With the car idling and the clutch out stationary, try and put the car in gear without depressing the clutch, if it moves...its most likley hydraulic related (at least thats what i was told and whats happening with mine)

when you did the transmission rebuild did you get the slave sylinder or master cylinder replaced too? what about the clutch??
Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM

when i got the car my friend had already put a new master cylinder on it from advance because it was growling 4th we were told the clutch hadent been in too long that one was put in it at a dealer not long before he sold it to me so i sent it to tick and had it rebuilt i got the car and it had 107000 now it has about 118000, think the master cylinder was faulty from advance?, btw still havent tried bleeding it yet. it engaged fine on our way to the store, then on the way back it started having trouble.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000ssls1
when i got the car my friend had already put a new master cylinder on it from advance because it was growling 4th we were told the clutch hadent been in too long that one was put in it at a dealer not long before he sold it to me so i sent it to tick and had it rebuilt i got the car and it had 107000 now it has about 118000, think the master cylinder was faulty from advance?, btw still havent tried bleeding it yet. it engaged fine on our way to the store, then on the way back it started having trouble.
the master cylinders on these cars are a ***** to bleed..if your freind put it in himself, could be air. hopefully the slave cylinder isnt the problem. you said it growls? in all the gears? when your cruising in 4th for example is that when the noise happens, like all the time? and just curious who put in the transmission??
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 PM

for example say your in 4th and you try to go from 4th to 5th, its tough going in, it dosent always growl goin in, its like the clutch isent disengaging for it to go in gear properly. i put it in 1st and held the clutch to the floor and reved it to 5 and it tried to inch forward. the master cylinder was put on before the rebuild and was working but never had a good pedal i installed the transmission myself and its been doing great, we blead the clutch when i reinstalled the transmission , once about a month ago and this morning i blead it for a good hour and a half, the tranny shifts smooth the only time it makes a growl is if you press and release the clutch petal with the car at a idle in neutral, when you release it, it makes a slight growl but it is not constant its just a brief, short growl. the growl from it going in gear seems like its just not disengaging because its doing it the same in all gears it eather is kinda tight going in or it slightly growls, anyway i still cant get a good paddle on the clutch so i am thinking its the master cylinder, woulden't it leak brake fluid if it was a slave cylinder?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like it's something in the hydraulics. And no like I said try the disconnect trick and see what happens. But sometime these parts fail the leak internally and just don't hold pressure. If it all checks out good it may be the clutxh
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM

well i tried unhooking the line and the pedal dident' sink , but i havent been able to get a good clutch pedal.
i have made a hole in the floorboard to get to the bleeder from in the car, but the pedal is still only about half pedal and it is very soft. i have bled the crap outta it.
also with the car idleing in neutral, when i press the clutch pedal to the floor , as soon as i let up on it it makes a quick growl or a "yink" sound as my wife calls it lol, it sounds like as soon as the clutch tries to grab is when it makes the sound.
the slave is a year old and has a lifetime warrenty, but could the clutch possibly be part of the problem?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM

today i cleaned around the bell housing and the transmission and had my wife to pump what little clutch i had and everytime she pressed the clutch i could see fluid seep, iam gonna pull the trans. in the morning and see whats going on.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like you blew the slave lol

Quick Reply: grinding and rough going into every gear