Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air flow

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air flow

I asked this question in drag racing section but I might get more replies since it's a nitrous question.

I have a forged 11.1 347ci LS1 I plan to use a Victor Jr intake and a 4150 T/b with 2 stages of nitrous. I have been told not to put a carb hat or elbow on top of the 4150 style throttle body it restricts and disrupts airflow going into the throttle body causing power loss. I don't feel comfortable just leaving the throttle body open so I planned on using a K&N raised base air cleaner with the flow thru lid. I know the cowl has to be cut back so I will be using the VFN extended hood. If I put a pan around the throttle body and seal it to the hood how much would I need to cut the hood back from the windshield to get enough air into the engine? I am wondering how n/a or nitrous guy are getting air to the 4150 T/B with the extended VFN Sunoco hood without sucking in a bunch of hot engine compartment air?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure I fully understand your question. Cut til it fits. Normally the rear of the cowl hood has a path for air to suck back in to feed your tb. Might be screened, might be solid so you have to cut it open yourself. If the extended hood goes all the way to the windshield you'll need to cut an air path yourself or go back to the drawing board.

Since you're getting the extended cowl hood you might want to do the cowl delete. Also cut breather ports for your HVAC inlet if you still have A/C and blower. HVAC inlet is inside the cowl, passenger side.

Quick Reply: Air flow