General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 Trans Am won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am won't start...

The vehicle that's looking to get me fired is at it again! lol Seriously though, here's the problem:

I placed the key into the ignition and the usual lights turned on. I turned the ignition, and the turned over for a second but then power to the starter just died. I removed the key, popped the hood, and when I went out there to check some stuff, I noticed that something in the passenger headlight was knocking. Just knock-knock-knock-knocking. I removed the positive post, reconnected it, and the car started right up. I had no problems with it the rest of the night.

Today, as with all things that have perfect timing, the same thing happened. Only this time, there is a knocking under the passenger dash instead. I went out, removed the positive and then reconnected it. The knock disappeared, and I went to start the car. Nothing. BUT! The knocking relocated back to the damn passenger headlight!

So, yeah, my bird is trying to get me fired... she is the only reason I'm ever late or not there at all. :/ If anyone has any idea what's going on, please for the love of all that is cheese in this world let me know!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds like your positive terminal isn't making proper connection to the battery. Mine did the same thing until I replaced the terminal wire. Mine seemed like it was tight on the battery, but whether it was because of corrosion or some other reason, it didn't make good enough contact to fire without me screwing with it for a few minutes. It did make good enough connection for everything else to work though, which I thought was strange.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Launching!

replace you starter relay
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by levilz
It sounds like your positive terminal isn't making proper connection to the battery. Mine did the same thing until I replaced the terminal wire. Mine seemed like it was tight on the battery, but whether it was because of corrosion or some other reason, it didn't make good enough contact to fire without me screwing with it for a few minutes. It did make good enough connection for everything else to work though, which I thought was strange.
You're right, Levilz... it did actually turn out to be the connection. I ended up throwing a (conductive) washer between the post bolt and the terminal wire eyelet. The connection was shitty as hell. Thankfully I was able to fix it quick and get back to work without issues the same day. I'll replace the whole thing proper when I get a chance.

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am won't start...