Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting amps in spare tire location - pics, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mounting amps in spare tire location - pics, ideas?

I am going to be mounting 2 amps in the spare tire location and wanted to know what anyone who has done this has used as a base to mount the amps to and if any pics could be taken. I have all that stuff removed so space shouldn't be an issue at all. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put my epicenter in that area. the picture also shows an excellent ground point.

something else you could do is find a mounting plate for the monsoon amp and choose amps you could mount on it (size wise), I've read of people doing that.
Attached Thumbnails Mounting amps in spare tire location - pics, ideas?-img_0900.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah as long as the amplifier is within a few inches of the factory amps length and width then you can mount some 3/8"- 1/2" thick plywood to the factory plastic amp mount and have one of you new amps mounted there.

Wow, someone else that has a Audio Control Epicenter!
I mounted mine under the driver seat.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-04-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I mounted mine in the bottom well in the deepest part with fans sucking from up in that well.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.banddirector.cz28.com/photo3.html
Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually have a new amp not. Kenwood Excelion(sp?)
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yun Gunz, what do you use as a base to mount it to, a block of wood? What are you mounting the mount to on the body of the car, can you take a pic of that? I have 2 amps each about a foot wide that i need to mount to something and am thinking that a piece of wood elevated off of the floor mounted to the body somewhere will be my best bet
Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

What 2 amps do you have? The size of the amp plays a part where you can put them.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an Alpine MRX-F35 and Alpine MRX-M50, both are basically 10x10, so not big at all. Problem is is that I have my car 50 miles away in storage and have to go off of pictures that people are posting to get an idea of what I am getting into. My idea is to make a wooden board that goes longways from the back bumper towards the wheel well and make it where it sits high enough to have both amps side by side. I don't want to mount them vertically because I don't have enough room to do both I don't believe. For those that know, would I have roughly 2 feet of length to put the amps behind the trim panel side by side ?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Yeah as long as the amplifier is within a few inches of the factory amps length and width then you can mount some 3/8"- 1/2" thick plywood to the factory plastic amp mount and have one of you new amps mounted there.

Wow, someone else that has a Audio Control Epicenter!
I mounted mine under the driver seat.
my power antenna is broken and since I NEVER listen to regular radio stations I opted to use the power antenna power, ground and remote wire factory hookups to run the epicenter, plus it really didn't go with my amp so I wanted to hide it.

to the OP, I would be careful just how far down you go with wood in that area (make sure you don't block the drain hole in the bottom), I was getting water in that area, not sure where from (possibly the t-top issue that I have since fixed) so I would be careful where I put wood back there.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
Yun Gunz, what do you use as a base to mount it to, a block of wood? What are you mounting the mount to on the body of the car, can you take a pic of that? I have 2 amps each about a foot wide that i need to mount to something and am thinking that a piece of wood elevated off of the floor mounted to the body somewhere will be my best bet
It a piece of 1/2" plywood. I cardboarded up a mock piece to fit as snug as possible. I use the spare tire hold down as what keeps it from moving. Underneath I used a metal bracket from crap laying around the garage and mounted that to the antenna piece. It dont move at all. Wrapped it with a $15 floor mat trimmed, and stapled to it. I'll try and get photos later. It raining and cold, my garage is not attached to my house and not in the mood today lol.

You could almost build a small shelf style mount for it.

Small piece of plywood for the amps and maybe piece of wood on each foot and heel end to attach them. Use screws or some other type of quick fastener if need be for easy disassemble and the sides are open to breath. Wouldn't be all that tall.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have both of mine in the same place as the stock amp. I will try to get some pictures up soon.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Banned

I've had my 5 channel Eclipse amp in the spare tire compartment for the past 5-6 years. Never an issue. Never would know it's there.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cookba
I've had my 5 channel Eclipse amp in the spare tire compartment for the past 5-6 years. Never an issue. Never would know it's there.

That look very clean, what do you have the amp mounted to? I don't want to screw the sheet metal obviously
Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
That look very clean, what do you have the amp mounted to? I don't want to screw the sheet metal obviously
look like the bracket at the base of the antenna that hes mounted it to
Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
to the OP, I would be careful just how far down you go with wood in that area (make sure you don't block the drain hole in the bottom), I was getting water in that area, not sure where from (possibly the t-top issue that I have since fixed) so I would be careful where I put wood back there.
+1, my power antenna broke off and I went to pull the power wire. I already pulled the spare to save weight. The well was wet, I think it's from where you open the rear deck and the water drips inside on top of the spare tire cover and then runs down.

Quick Reply: Mounting amps in spare tire location - pics, ideas?