General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

piston question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston question

Guys one quick question I couldn't find a decent answer to anywhere online ,after tearing down my ls1 due to knock I found 2 bent con rods and 1 ruint piston the pistons I pulled out are mahle standard size pistons and rods are stock motor even has all standard size bearings,anyways I'm gonna need new pistons and at least 2 rods after a few phone calls I find out I can buy a stock set of rods&pistons still together from a buddy's 01 trans am no damage he just went to forged and my question is after cleaning my block and doing a simple hone(cylinders are very clean still see cross hatching) can I use his old pistons and rods in my motor along with new rings and bearings? I know when building the old small block gen 1s and reusing piston to put the piston back with its original cylinder because it is wore to fit that cylinder but since I'm buying a used set I can't do that and just wondered if I'd be ok since those pistons arent wore to any of my cylinders?will I have problems with rings not sealing or anything?

Quick Reply: piston question