Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Burping cooling system with Kurt Urban steam vent system

Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Burping cooling system with Kurt Urban steam vent system

How are you guys getting this done? I can't seem to get all the air 100% out. I thought i had it the other day, drove the car for about 50 miles with no problems. Then, i got stuck at a light for 2 cycles due to traffic, a couple mins later i park the car and i notice coolant bubbling out of the overflow, car proceeds to puke another gallon of water/coolant out. The car NEVER overheated the entire time, kept right around 190 until the coolant puked then it started to overheat when i was sitting still. When i would get up to about 50 mph it would go back to normal...I limped the car back home, put the front up on jackstands and went though it all over again, seems to be ok once again but i would prefer not to be out in traffic and have this happen again. Can currently sit in the driveway and idle for 10-15 mins no bubbling, spitting or anything, top line from the KUP vent is pure coolant returning to the radiator... Any advice?

My cooling system consists of a Griffin radiator, pusher fans, 160 thermostat and the KUP steam vent system.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

plug off the steam vents
Old 05-05-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the KUP vent system. I'm using the same thing. I never did the "raise the front end trick." As soon as the thermostat opens your moving water and it pushes the air out through the KUP vent and upper hose. You did run the car long enough to circulate the coolant with the radiator cap off? Even if not you have filled it since running it to operating temp so you should be topped off. I doubt its trapped air being the issue. But after checking it a couple times heat cycling it you should be full. Especially if your watching the coolant circulate with the cap off. You can't put more fluid in than when its running.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the KUP version, but I made my own. When I burp mine I have the front of the car in the air and leave one of the front hoses off of the fittings. Then I fill the radiator up until coolant comes out of that hole, plug it quick, and then finish topping off the radiator. Seems to have worked fine for me.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:46 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use an air lift. vacuum fill tool.. Uses shop air, like 75-130 bucks. No more coolant fill/bleed issues ever again.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Use an air lift. vacuum fill tool.. Uses shop air, like 75-130 bucks. No more coolant fill/bleed issues ever again.
Yeah my friend suggested that to me, he has one. May try that this week. Took the car out tonight, drove about 20 miles and no issues. Hmmm.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was chasing this problem before. just top it off with the car on and the cap off. you want a little room for 'error' so dont fill it all the way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burping cooling system with Kurt Urban steam vent system