Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ls1 swap need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 swap need some help

hello evreyone i just picked up a ls1 yesterday drove 340 miles round trip to get this thing needs to be rebuilt fully disasembled its a 97 block i know the heads are not the best from my reserch i need some ideas on parts i am gona do most custom work so its not gona be that bad hunting down alot of things i just need some help with botom end parts if anyone can refer me to someone this my first ls1 ever never touched one till know i got the tools and and know how to rebuild a engine just need parts and some advise from someone who has exspireance with a turbo ls1 who built theres

i am building this for boost but only 5 psi
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Might as well face it, you'll be addicted to boost.

Originally Posted by s.a.t.Titus

i am building this for boost but only 5 psi
HAHAHA That's hilarious! Dude, that's like saying I'm only going to do a little bit of crack... just a little bit. Hahahaa.. You'll be at 10 psi within a month of getting your stuff running. And then BEGGING your friends to help you get more.

"Hi, I'm HRHohio... and I'm a Boost Addict" Hahahaha

Best of luck man... keep us all posted.

What's it going into?

(97 block? from what car?)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HRHohio
HAHAHA That's hilarious! Dude, that's like saying I'm only going to do a little bit of crack... just a little bit. Hahahaa.. You'll be at 10 psi within a month of getting your stuff running. And then BEGGING your friends to help you get more.

"Hi, I'm HRHohio... and I'm a Boost Addict" Hahahaha

Best of luck man... keep us all posted.

What's it going into?

(97 block? from what car?)
i think it came out of a camaro not shore only reason im shootin for 5 psi is stock internals so not trying to push my luck if you feel me but the more i look at this engine it makes me melt i mean i love the way they built the main caps built nearly flawless but its going into my 1993 z28 camaro useing a stand alone computer cheep megasquirt building my own engine mounts the k members are the same just the mounts and such are located in difrent spots and the bolt holes are reinforsed so just gona weld up some and make my own custom ones did the same thing puting a lt1 in a 91 240sx so no big i know a guy runing 26psi on his ls1 it runs 10s or 9s idr bitch is fast il say that

but trust me 10psi has crossed my mind im just man trying to build a race car on a crap budget but that will not hold me back none i dont plan on this car being oem evreything so i dont care to fab up something to save some money thinking realistcly
Old 05-06-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

I hear ya. I only joke because I was only planning on going 5 psi on mine when I started. Now, I just upped my wastegate springs yesterday and did 12+ psi on modest timing. Also stock bottom end. Key things to look out for:
Make sure you have enough fuel and that you don't go lean
Get a Walbro 400 in your tank or twin 255's
At least 60lb injectors, 80lb would be better
Intercooler and Methanol/Water injection system to inhibit any detonation,

And do your research to make sure you have the supporting systems sound.

We'll see how I do on the dyno next Saturday!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Teching In

I hear ya. I only joke because I was only planning on going 5 psi on mine when I started. Now, I just upped my wastegate springs yesterday and did 12+ psi on modest timing. Also stock bottom end. Key things to look out for:
Make sure you have enough fuel and that you don't go lean
Get a Walbro 400 in your tank or twin 255's
At least 60lb injectors, 80lb would be better
Intercooler and Methanol/Water injection system to inhibit any detonation,

And do your research to make sure you have the supporting systems sound.

We'll see how I do on the dyno next Saturday!
i can say i know about what you are talking about and it defenitly sounds 100% like you know what your talking about after looking at ur page looking at ur car on there i read ur on stock internals im impressed im sending my rods off to the machine here soon did u bolt ur turbo kit or build a custom hot side? i was thinking about makeing my own turbo headers im gona go with a stock 7.3 power stroke dissle turbo 110 a.r col and 1.15 hot side suposed to be a 75mm turbo or something of the sort dont hold me to my word but its a big turbo 3in inlet 4inch out so it would make power and last i feel cause they run stock 8psi and last for the life of the truck and cant say cause it being dissle it will spull up too fast cause it only rev to 4k peopple dont put into factor that the engine has 17.5.1 compretion raito too spull it up you get what i mean and thank you varry much for the advise
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is a rear mount, didn't have to do much to the engine compartment to fit things. I had someone else fab up the setup. They did an ok job, but I've been working through issues since I got it back from them.

What is yours going into? Are you going front mount, or rear mount?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Mine is a rear mount, didn't have to do much to the engine compartment to fit things. I had someone else fab up the setup. They did an ok job, but I've been working through issues since I got it back from them.

What is yours going into? Are you going front mount, or rear mount?
its a 1993 z28 camaro drove the car as a dd then wanted to turn it into a race car/weekend warior at car meets the car ran fine but anyhow im planing on front mount i took out my abs system redid my brake lines took out alot of wireing in the car rewired my intiror not finished yet dont have a intiror computer or anything that has to do with delco vatts bs im already lerning the tuneing softwear for the megasquirt stand alone ecu i have softwear for it....reason why i want this paticuler one is i can do so much with its cheep if i want it to do more yes i have to spend money here or there and have it put in but! its a custom ecu here this is the featuresFeatures / Benefits of the MegaSquirt EFI System
•Onboard MAP sensor for NA or boosted engines up to 21psi!
•Speed density or Alpha-N.
•Use High Impedance Injectors or Low impedance with resistor pack inline
•Compatible with output from narrowband sensors and wideband O2 systems.
•Log data on your laptop for later analysis.
•Tuning software is free for download and regularly updated with new features.
•Open Source design - all code and hardware information is available online.
•Includes proper female DB37 connector and shell for your wiring harness.
Additional Features
•Professionally Machined Brushed Aluminum Endplates. Excellent Fit and Finish!
•Flanged ends for easy mounting.
•The crystal is glued in place to reduce sensitivity to vibrations.
•The MAP sensor input has been brought out to the outside of the case using a barbed bulkhead fitting. This allows for easy connection of your vacuum/boost line and reduces the chances of harming the MAP sensor.
OPTIONAL: On assembled units we will be happy to load the MSnS-Extra firmware to allow full ignition control of distributor based or EDIS distributorless ignition. Just let us know you'd like the MSnS-Extra Firmware loaded in the order comments during checkout.

Fully upgradeable to MegaSquirt II or III Fuel and Ignition Controller
This unit can be upgraded to MegaSquirt 2 or 3 and you'll have the following new/improved features:

•Ignition control (full spark timing advance control, dwell control, etc) for one coil/distributor and EDIS systems,
•Tuning tables in 12×12 or 16x16 resolution
•On-board stepper motor driver for IAC stepper control (this will require a few jumper wires to be added on the MegaSquirt PCB)
•MS3 adds significant extra I/O capabilities including 8cyl ignition and sequential fuel control

Available Source code means Endless Development
This MegaSquirt EFI system is an open project allowing anyone to customize the hardware and code to meet different needs. This firmware's featureset has grown hugely and continues to be refined.
Optional firmware updates (such as MS1/Extra) for the current MegaSquirt-I add features such as:

•Ignition Control, distributor-based and distributorless (DIS) systems
•12x12 Volumetric Efficiency (VE) and Ignition Tables
•Closed loop boost control
•Rev limiters
•Shift Light control
•Water Injection control
•Knock Sensor Input

some peopple will bag but iv seen in person theas computer work and work good hell i got my butt whooped by a ls1 on 19psi when i was in my mustand knowing i was gona lose just dont back down to a good race give me a min il uplode video this muston had 295s on the back il explain the mods if intresed but check it out this is the 5.3 though

Last edited by s.a.t.Titus; 05-08-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, my head hurts after trying to read this.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Teching In

okay so I have an update I have ben buyin some parts im kinda stuck between two turbos a 95 7.3 powerstroke turbo and a gt45 I got engine mounts and towers for my k member I know the k member is the same but I have to weld the towers to the kmember due to bolt holes so no big sadly got the truck intake off a z71 to start off and stock manafolds to make some turbo headers about too get the stand alone ecu and wireing harness lots more to get and do but that's an update on the car
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Use these > .............. So we can understand your post.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tonypaul
Use these > .............. So we can understand your post.
sorry my grammar sucks. I have a questen are my 806 castings worth poting? some say yes others say no so idk....same guy has 706 casting heads from a 2003 z71 for 50 bucks....
. the specks are about the same but it has a 189 intake valve. where the 806 has a 2.00
valve they flow close to the same tho but im thinking bad idea due to the chamber cc cause it would if im right put me at 10:7:1 compretion or 11:0:1 im not serten would be good for a cheep na build

Last edited by s.a.t.Titus; 06-25-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: ls1 swap need some help