Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Belt Sqeak question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Sqeak question

Just wondering what could be causing this incessant squeak the car has. I've replaced the alternator(this past weekend) and the idler pulley a couple weeks ago. Next on the list is the belt itself as it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Any other ideas?? The parts guy at oreilly's gave me some tips: take the belt off and turn each pulley by hand to see if it squeaks or "catches" on a rough spot. Just wanting to know if there is anything i could be missing? Maybe water pump squeak?

PS the squeak sounds like it is coming from the right side of the engine bay, but the only things over there are PS, and the alt. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

i know mine was the ac belt tensioner and the guide pulley fixed my bird chirping squeal
Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Teching In

I had sprayed both belts with a light mist of water from a spray bottle on each belt to determine were the noise was coming from. when the noise gets quite for second u will know what side the noise is coming from it was my a/c belt i changed the belt first 5 min job and the noise was still there then i sprayed white lithium grease behind each pulley and the noise would stop for a while. so i new i needed the pulleys hope this helps

Quick Reply: Belt Sqeak question