Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

05 gto dying and wont start

Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 gto dying and wont start

Hi, I have a 2005 mp112 Supercharged gto. I picked it up about a month ago and haven't really had any problems with it until yesterday. After driving it for about 20 minutes after warm up, it dies and won't start. and if you let go of the key it keeps on cranking for about 2 seconds. It just started it last night and did it again this morning right when I pulled in my school. Please help. I'm in school right now and not sure if it will fire when I get off. Thanks in advance. This is the second time its done it. It died while I was moving when it happened twice
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Battery good?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Yup. Just changed it about 2 weeks ago. It died twice while moving and all electronics are on when I try to refire it. Just turns over but won't turn on. It took me about 15minutes llast night. Hopefully it starts when I get off here
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Teching In

I`m still pretty new to this forum. trying to get involved as much as possible and just had this issue.

There's somebody that had the exact same issue at LS2.com.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654733
The last owner of my car had his post there as one of the replies on the thread. It means that he's had the same issue. He's out of the country until July so i can't really talk to him.

It's been in the shop for 2 days now. Still nothing. I need help guys. It is my DD and my only car. Just want to get some lead on it. It`s frustrating that the problem couldn't be found. Somebody help and thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming the car has a boost a pump and stock fuel pump?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Teching In

To be honest, I don't know the difference. I know the supercharger kit came with a fuel pump if that helps any.. The car is still in the shop and they have not found anything. They barely got to it today. Any info or lead would help. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Just reading around, It has magnusson magnavolt in my car since I saw the box controller by the fuse box. Not sure if this helps.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Bump.. Car was pulled off the shop. Shop couldn't find anything. car is currently running fine. Put 60 miles on it today with no problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm more of a computer guy these days but what it sounds like is an electrical issue. Possibly a short that is hard to replicate, they can be very finicky. On that note I looked at the top sticky's and saw this https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...ights-etc.html it could very well be related to that wiring problem. Might be worth looking into, all it will cost you is time.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks for sharing that link! I will check on that as soon as I get off work today. Again, thanks! keep any suggestions coming
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible it could be a fuel pump going bad but I doubt it. It sounds electrical like HumanNipple said.

Having said that on my Maggied 05, I was running a Magnavolt with a stock fuel pump and the Magnavolt fried itself - while I was WOT.. Fortunately, no damage, but my oem pump was also fried.. I would be careful with that Magnavolt; I don't trust them after my experience. Solution? Walbro 255. Lingenfelter sells a kit for like 140 bucks.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Teching In

After installing the Walbro 255, do you still run the magnavolt?
What's your exact setup? Might need your guide on this one. Since I have pulled it off the shop, I have driven it about 90 miles now but I haven't driven it on a hot day like when it was stalling. It hasn't stalled for the last 2 days.. It will happen again so I would like to fix this issue somehow. It's like being in a boxing ring with a blindfold. I don't know what to find here. Thanks for the guide.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Have you called magnavolt to ask them if they've heard of this issue before? I'm betting its something electrical, I'm all N/A so I don't have much advice to give on a F/I car... Is it an A4 or M6?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Teching In

It's an A4.. I haven't called Magnusson about this issue.. I need to check my BCM wiring and the Magnavolt wiring.. Any other suggestions? Car hasn't stalled in the last 90 miles but I know it will happen again, in the worse time most likely.
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You can jump the yellow and grey wires to return power to the fuel pump. If the car starts, the Magnavolt is bad.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Hi Johntall, saw the picture you attached.. What is that harness and where is it located? When the issue was going on, the car would turn over but not fire up.. The car has been fine for the last 90 miles but I know the problem will come back since the last owner had the same issue before, he just never told me about it (found his forum post in ls2.com). Would that still the magnavolt? Help please.. Thanks for that pic, just please infer on this please.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rotter21
Hi Johntall, saw the picture you attached.. What is that harness and where is it located? When the issue was going on, the car would turn over but not fire up.. The car has been fine for the last 90 miles but I know the problem will come back since the last owner had the same issue before, he just never told me about it (found his forum post in ls2.com). Would that still the magnavolt? Help please.. Thanks for that pic, just please infer on this please.
Thanks
That's the wiring harness attached to the right strut tower. It's in the Maggie GTO install manual.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for sharing that info.. With my problem of it stalling while driving, could that still be magnavolt acting up? The wiring you told me to do would fix this issue? What would that new connection exactly do? Sorry to bother but I didn't get any paperwork with the car since the last owner got it done in a shop and didn't bother getting them back which is really stupid in my opinion.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rotter21 did you check the wiring?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Teching In

I was out of town with my family. Will be checking it today after school. Thanks for helping and hopefully it'snothing big. I will for sure keep posting updates in here to keep you guys informed and to help people with this issue on the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 gto dying and wont start