General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gushing Coolant After Radiator Install

Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gushing Coolant After Radiator Install

Hey guys, I replaced a cracked radiator the other day and after replacement I bled the system and took it for a test drive after it was at full operating temp. Everything was fine. The next morning I drove to work(about a 10min drive, max speed 60mph). When I got out of the car I immediately smelled coolant and dropped down and looked under the front end and was shocked to see coolant just pouring out from what looks like the back of the water pump but I can't tell for sure. I let it warm up again last night in the driveway and as soon as the thermostat opened it started gushing coolant again.

I've read a ton of threads on the pump going bad but it seems that when that happens it just starts to leak from the pump as opposed to gushing. That and I didn't see anything about it only happening after the t-stat opens.

Any advice? It's my daily driver and I need to get this figured out ASAP.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Any input would be greatly appreciated... Hell, even if you just want to call me a dumbass that would be cool ha ha
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

If it's only happening when the t-stat opens, have you checked the hoses/connection points at the t-stat and elsewhere? Perhaps a clamp is not seated properly (especially if you reused the old hoses) or a hose is not fully seated? Maybe it just appears to be coming from the water pump, but is actually being sprayed from something else nearby.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the two gaskets between the water pump & engine are on...and in the right spot? (3 bolts going through same three gasket holes)

I only ask because I just did this with my engine install and it was a PITA.

Re-read. If you didn't take the water pump off, that's not relevant.

You have 4 connections. Upper radiator hose, T-Stat, Lower radiator hose, Water pump. Check those four connections, maybe something came loose.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I crawled under it last night and looked while it was spewing... aside from taking a bunch of coolant to the face I could't find anything that looked out of place.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Double check the two hoses below the cap. Sounds like you may have them switched.
The top hose should be the overflow.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by toms752
see coolant just pouring out from what looks like the back of the water pump
Can you see if it is leaking from the seal (hidden by the pulley) or from the gaskets...?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Default Same problem

I had the same issue on my 95 trans am when I replaced my radiator and waterpump. I took the waterpump back off and replace the gaskets and used a higher temp RTV. No isues after.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Huh.....the water pump is always spinning, but coolant doesn't flow unless the tstat is open. But if you're up to operating temp the pressure in the system is there. So if you have a breach somewhere in the system you should start to spray coolant as soon as the pressure rises......and not have to wait till the coolant starts to flow.

I say get it up to operating temp again.....then squeeze the upper radiator hard as hard as you can.....see if coolant squirts out somewhere. If not, try squeezing the lower hose.

Weird......

Also.....only two ways to know if the tstat has just opened is to watch the coolant start to flow with the radiator cap OFF.......or to sit in the car and watch the temp gauge make a rather large drop.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-04-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Launching!

if it looks like the back of the pump...

smells like the water pump...

seems like the water pump...

i would pop for a new water pump.

and check if any gaskets are folded over or pinched.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Did you fill the overflow/expansion bottle slam full or just put a little in to get started?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gushing Coolant After Radiator Install