Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

2002 Trans Am WS6 engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am WS6 engine trouble

Hello, I'm new to this website and was hoping for some help. I may have posted this in the wrong place or someone may have already posted about it, if so, I apologize. Anyways, my Trans Am is having trouble starting sometimes. What is really confusing me is that some days it'll start right up and other days or after I get off work, it won't start and I have to mess with something for it to start. When it first did that, we replaced the relay for the starter and it started up for a few weeks good but now it is having trouble again. When it won't start, I go under the hood and wiggle or remove the relay and put it back and it usually starts right up. Any ideas what the problem could be? I was told that it could be a lot of different things but I'm hoping somebody has had the same problem and can help me out or somebody knows what it is. Please and thank you.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Teching In

When you attempt to start it and it doesn't. Does it turn over? Can you hear the fuel pump? Any gauge lights come on that aren't supposed too?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a fuel pump issue to me.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

When it does want to start, it doesn't want to turn over. The fuel pump does come on. What seems weird is that the battery gauge is below normal but when it finally does start after I do the starter relay, it starts right up with normal range for the battery. My service engine light has been coming on and off with the codes P0410 and P1415, someone told me it wasn't anything major but you guys might be able to tell me different, I'm not sure if that's what causing it or not.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

How old is the battery? Is it the original battery? If it is more than 5 years old it may need to be replaced.

P0410 is Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction.

P0415 is Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Malfunction.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

I just recently check the battery, I'm not sure how old it is but it looks like it's rather new but one thing I've noticed is that the terminals are corroding quite frequently, I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. After It also seems to have the problem when the car sits out in the sun for a few hours, I'm not sure if it heats up something and makes it harder to start of what exactly.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Launching!

sounds like a dying battery or corrosion to me

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am WS6 engine trouble