General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A leak maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A leak maybe?

So my 01 WS6 is loosing power steering fluid constantly. I bought a new pump and it still does this. I think it can be that the power steering cooler is busted not sure. I tried to find a new power steering cooler and could find one, GM doesnt make them any more and Summit doesn't have them either. I went on the parts page here looked through a few pages and didnt find any. I also put new fluid in than cracked the car turned my wheel lock to lock several times and when i moved the car there was fluid on the ground. Could it be a high pressure line? Also i didnt completely drain the fluid when I replaced the pump how important is this really because i can not find the bleed valve on the rack and pinion to bleed the air out and to drain the fluid .
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have one out of my 02 ws6
50 SHIPPED
Power steering cooler
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by "MAC"
So my 01 WS6 is loosing power steering fluid constantly. I bought a new pump and it still does this. I think it can be that the power steering cooler is busted not sure. I tried to find a new power steering cooler and could find one, GM doesnt make them any more and Summit doesn't have them either. I went on the parts page here looked through a few pages and didnt find any. I also put new fluid in than cracked the car turned my wheel lock to lock several times and when i moved the car there was fluid on the ground. Could it be a high pressure line? Also i didnt completely drain the fluid when I replaced the pump how important is this really because i can not find the bleed valve on the rack and pinion to bleed the air out and to drain the fluid .
Try some of that stop leak stuff they sell at Advance. Did you get a new pump or a reman pump? Did you install it yourself? Check the line again and make sure it's not leaking from there, try to have someone else look at it while you are turning the wheel and figure out where the leak is coming from.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

It could be leaking from your steering rack also.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Sounds good and im gonna do that. Also was wondering if any of you guys and gals change the power steering cooler to a different one? like a small one like the trans cooler? Also i heard that I dont really need a cooler for my power steering as well, any thoughts on that?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT use the stock style PS cooler...they are known to leak over time. If that has happened to you, you'll know because your coolant will probably look like frothy chocolate milk. Take the cap off and look. Hopefully it didn't cross-contaminate.

Then read this entire thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

And don't use stop leak for anything...figure out what it going on, and fix it. That's what people use when they are trying to sell a car and don't want to fix it correctly.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be the high pressure line. Clean off the fittings and the hose really well, drive it a bit, then recheck the pressure line. If it has fluid on it, there's your issue.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
DO NOT use the stock style PS cooler...they are known to leak over time. If that has happened to you, you'll know because your coolant will probably look like frothy chocolate milk. Take the cap off and look. Hopefully it didn't cross-contaminate.

Then read this entire thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

And don't use stop leak for anything...figure out what it going on, and fix it. That's what people use when they are trying to sell a car and don't want to fix it correctly.
Thanks for that thread man it really helped out a lot now i need to wait till i can get a new entire system. Sometime i see that my PS fluid is brown and sometimes it isn't so with that being said ima get all new lines and rack-n-pinion to be on the safe side plus that new PS Cooler. once I replaced it all ima search the old parts and see whats wrong and post it up with pictures because if I was having a hard time with this im sure other people are too.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Ok heres an update on what has been going on. I checked the radiator over flow tank because thats where the power steering fluid has been leaking from. I pulled the plastic dip stick out and its filled with Power Steering fluid. This has to mean that the power steering cooler is busted right? I know thats probably a no brainer but doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed I back about the cooler.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

well I just deleted the power steering cooler. It wasn't a professional job but it works and there is definitely power steering fluid in the radiator fluid so now i gotta clean that out.

Quick Reply: A leak maybe?