Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I bend a Valve????????????

Old 04-25-2004, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I bend a Valve????????????

A couple months ago after my cam swap, I was driving my car pretty hard and I shifted from 1-2 and miss third and went back to 1st. I had some valvetrain noise to begin with from my cam. The valvetrain noise never seemed to change, but recently I believe it's gotten louder. I have hardened pushrods, so I don't think I bent one of those, what else could I have damaged? A bent valve? Could the change in temperature cause the valvetrain noise to increase? I hope this is normal with this cam, but I don't think it is . Help me out.

Robbie
Old 04-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

have you noticed a loss in power since the missed shift? also, when you missed the shift how high did the engine seem to rev??? was it a quick realization then you pushed the clutch back in? or did you just stomp on the "loud pedal" and then rev it to high heaven?? if so, then there is a very high chance that valve float occured. and you might have bent some valves.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

haven't really seen a power loss since it happened. well, at the time, my shift was get at 4800 RPM, so when that lite up, I pushed in the clutch pedal fast. I also have the stock rev limiter btw.

Robbie
Old 04-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

it sounds as though you pushed the clutch in in enough time. especially if the car drove home. if you bent a valve your car would not really be driving right now. as for having the stock rev limmiter, no limmiter is going to stop the innertia of an engine pushing a 2k pound car. so a rev limmiter is only effective when revving up the gear, not down shifting. you might want to check into getting a valve adjustment. it is very common for valve train to get louder as you break the cam in. everything starts to settle and there is too much lash between the rocker arms and the pushrods hence the sewing machine sound.

Search this Thread