Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

02 SS, Will not shift into any gear... Questions/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 SS, Will not shift into any gear... Questions/Advice

First off I searched and found some helpful information on the topic, but I wanted some input.

About 2 months ago I took my 02 camaro SS to the tranny shop to have new clutch/fly and reverse synchro installed. 3 weeks later, the car is finally done. I didnt spend anymore then I had too as I plan on selling, so I had new stock parts installed. The clutch was not as stiff as I expected, but for the last couple months the car has driven great.

Heading to class the other day, I get up to the top of the hill and, I can not get it to go in any gear. Finally turn the car off, get it in gear, restart it and same thing... of course Im thinking great. I was not happy with the business I delt with, with the tranny shop, however they did the work and their warranty covers 1 year 12,000 miles on the work they do. I figured, well they will take care of this... Had AAA come tow it.

Next day I get a call saying, the hydro fluid had thickened up and caused flow issues. The manager said he was going to look into a few things, but said he believed My headers were the cause of the tranny fluid, possibly overheating and thickening up. Anyway they flushed the system and it solved the issue.
I go down to pick it up yesterday, and of course the manager is not there and I was kind of in a bad position as my ride dropped me off and my phone was dead. I fig would pay something, but I disagreed that the headers had anything to do with the original issue. Ive had LT's on for over 2 years with no prob (nor have I ever heard of this happening). Anyway I was charged $162. $86 for diagnostics, and the rest in new fluid and a heat shield I did not even request lol.

With out loosing my mind I stayed calm, as I tried to reason with my understanding, but I cant get over the fact that. I was charged that amount for something I felt should have been covered under the warranty...Anyway let me know your thoughts on the issue and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing. LS1 F body clutches are finicky if you go outside of OEM with the clutch kit. Some can make it so it doesn't release because you need a shim between the bearing and slave.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SAUCE
First off I searched and found some helpful information on the topic, but I wanted some input.

About 2 months ago I took my 02 camaro SS to the tranny shop to have new clutch/fly and reverse synchro installed. 3 weeks later, the car is finally done. I didnt spend anymore then I had too as I plan on selling, so I had new stock parts installed. The clutch was not as stiff as I expected, but for the last couple months the car has driven great.

Heading to class the other day, I get up to the top of the hill and, I can not get it to go in any gear. Finally turn the car off, get it in gear, restart it and same thing... of course Im thinking great. I was not happy with the business I delt with, with the tranny shop, however they did the work and their warranty covers 1 year 12,000 miles on the work they do. I figured, well they will take care of this... Had AAA come tow it.

Next day I get a call saying, the hydro fluid had thickened up and caused flow issues. The manager said he was going to look into a few things, but said he believed My headers were the cause of the tranny fluid, possibly overheating and thickening up. Anyway they flushed the system and it solved the issue.
I go down to pick it up yesterday, and of course the manager is not there and I was kind of in a bad position as my ride dropped me off and my phone was dead. I fig would pay something, but I disagreed that the headers had anything to do with the original issue. Ive had LT's on for over 2 years with no prob (nor have I ever heard of this happening). Anyway I was charged $162. $86 for diagnostics, and the rest in new fluid and a heat shield I did not even request lol.

With out loosing my mind I stayed calm, as I tried to reason with my understanding, but I cant get over the fact that. I was charged that amount for something I felt should have been covered under the warranty...Anyway let me know your thoughts on the issue and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for your time.
BS !!!, header's are in no way harmful to the Trans unless those "magic header's" give your car 5000 more hp then heat or no heat won't cause an issue. Besides doesn't heat make the oil more like a liquid than solid? in other words "thinner". he ran complete bull on you.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the "hydro" fluid ?

like was said the headers would not impart any heat into the manual transmission which uses dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid. by hydro i assume you mean hydraulic fluid which is the dot3 brake fluid used in the clutch system which is separate and independent of the transmission.

brake fluid is good to quite a high temperature. and it sounds like your clutch that is not disengaging properly causing the problem although a little more detail i think is needed to really know. if it was your transmission fluid thickening up due to heat from the headers, tell them you want a sample of the fluid that you'll send to blackstone labs for oil analysis for $25 and that will confirm that oil overheat and oxidation and viscosity increase was the problem- that will shut them up real quick regarding that. i know for a fact the t56 transmission doesn't get much hotter than 160°F during summer highway driving, i have a temp sender in mine. if anything they messed something up when they opened it to replace the synchro you mentioned, or maybe you have bad synchros or bent forks but i think you would have noticed those before doing the work.
unfortunately for the $100-200 i don't think that's unreasonable since they did put new fluid and parts on and spent at least an hour with it. but with the clutch you can read here numerous stories about problem clutch installs and how important and hard it can be to properly bleed the clutch slave cylinder. if you are reusing your existing slave that may even be the problem.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it fixed now or is it still giving you problems going in to gear?

The fluid doesn't "thicken" and cause flow issues. More than likely what happened is they bled it again or fixed something that was wrong and said blamed it on the fluid. Either way they should have not charged you at all. By the way the fbody has a shield underneath the car right where the line goes. If it was there from the start that is.

We need some more details on the car and what was installed/not installed and mileage.

Quick Reply: 02 SS, Will not shift into any gear... Questions/Advice