Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

General Question

Old 05-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Question

Hey guys not sure if this is the right place. (And if its not mods do what you have to). But I just bought a 98 z28 and from the research I've been doing it sounds like the 4th Gen F Body with the LS1 in particular is very hard to work on by yourself without basically a whole garage full of tools and knowledge. I was wondering if there was any validity to that. Is it that difficult to change a simple manifold in comparison to other vehicles?

To give a little background information on myself, this is my first F-body of any type. I have worked on other cars before (mostly hondas). And have done everything but major engine work (rebuild etc.), but by no means am I an automotive engineer. Almost everything I've learned how to do was through forums similar to this one, or trial and error on junk cars.

I'm only really concerned because I dont know really anyone who'd be willing to let me "practice" on their LS1 before I did mine.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cars themselves are easy to work on, everything except the engine bay is laid out simply and easy acess, like shocks and stuff. The engine bay is crapmed from the neck down, but not horrible. Patience can help. Changing plugs isnt exactly fun, but other routine maintenance is pretty easy. Read up a ton on here, thats what i did, and keep ur laptop in the garage and ls1tech on, helps me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Question