Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel pump question

so my TA is a 98. back a couple moths ago i had posted a thread about the car dying and i replaced the pump and everything is good now for the most part. im still having starting issues occasionally and every once in a bluye moon when i first start it, ill go to drive somewhere and the car is really boggy and doesnt really wanna go anywhere for a couple seconds then it drives fine.

upon looking at autozone website for fuel pumps i noticed the 98 has a completely diff part number than the 99-02 models do. would this be causing any issue with my starts or anything if in fact the pump i bought was from a 99-02 instead of a 98?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly are your starting issues? Is it having to crank too much before starting?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

starting issues are as follows

on a normal day ill have to crank her over for like 5 seconds and it starts

other days ill do the same and it wont start, then i turn off then crank over again and it starts right up

on other less frequent occasions same as above but when i crank her the second time instead of starting right up it almost sounds like its choking at start up, the idle is really low (like 200) for a couple seconds then it jumps up to normal idle
Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
starting issues are as follows

on a normal day ill have to crank her over for like 5 seconds and it starts

other days ill do the same and it wont start, then i turn off then crank over again and it starts right up

on other less frequent occasions same as above but when i crank her the second time instead of starting right up it almost sounds like its choking at start up, the idle is really low (like 200) for a couple seconds then it jumps up to normal idle
Mr.Phil i told you in your old thread and i'll tell you now, replacing the pump won't help us much. you should replace your whole pump assembly as it contain's a regulator and that should fix your problem, BUT ! keep in mind it still might not fix it entirely, you'll need to get it tuned in that case.

i'm not sure if 98's use the same unit as 99-02 (since 99-02 = plastic tank), but i got mine off hawksthirdgenparts
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well autozone and o Reilly both show the 98 havinga different part number than 99-02
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

You would definitely need a 98 specific setup. They are different. There's a thread floating around on here with the info.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would he need a tune?

Phil.. If you end up needing it we have a 98 pump sitting around that is good.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12

how much? im in the middle of checking my fuel filter now as i type this, letting the line drain out before i get back under it though
Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just came back and put in the new filter, i blew on the old one and the new one before i put on the new one and i must say the new one felt a lot easier to blow through so im hoping my issue goes away with the filter... knowing my luck i doubt it though...

but good news so far, after i primed the pump a couple times to get fuel back in the lines the car started right up without any hiccups so hopefully thats a sign of good things to come hahaha
Old 05-12-2013, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12

i don't know why it happened to me but even after the change of the whole sending unit my car still misfired or bogged (probably cause the whole exhaust system is changed) but it sure as hell helped then tuned and all fine.

as i said you won't need the pump only, you'll need the whole unit.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So u had similar issues when u replaced it? The bogging and such? Getting a tune and a full new unit is gonna be like a grand
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

A tune isn't going to effect that, of that was the issue. Very well could have been an issue in the tune effecting that but not the tune effecting that, it is impossible. If so, it would have been that way from the factory.

New fuel pump assembly can be had for under 200$.. Tune for 150$ or so... Start coming to me for pricing Phil. lol You're getting ripped.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did the filter fix your issues? No reason to discuss it further until we know that.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I need to start coming to you with pricing things too Evan..
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

i trust lemon's judgement so i think just the unit.

keep us updated.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No filter didn't fix the issue, so on Friday I'm going to tent the 200 sdollar fuel pressure gauge from autozone and check pressure when priming the pump and then check again at idle, the way we figureif I'm not even getting enough pressure from the prime then its either in the pump assembly or the lines, but if I'm getting pressure priming but not when starting or idle then ima look into regulator or injectors... so I will update again come Friday when I check it out further
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Regulator will effect prime as well.

You just need to know if you have pressure at the rail when it acts up. If you do, its past the rail... Meaning injectors or some other issue. If you lose pressure at the rail when it acts up it is most likely the regulator or something else pre rail.

Fwiw... He had this problem with his 98 pump, my 00 pump, and before and after the fuel filter.. So it is not any of those.
I have a few ideas but Im waiting until i see what the pressure is when it acts up.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problemi had withmy 98 punk was completely different, my 98 pump would stop working while driving and and almost gotme stranded a couple times lol, this is a different issue. It could also honestly be that with the headers and 3 in dual dumped at the axle in running so lean that when I go to start the car again there's not enough fuel in the system to start it properly. Come to think of it I don't remember having aby issues like this until after we did the headers and I put the exhaust on.... Hmm dammit lol
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
The problemi had withmy 98 punk was completely different, my 98 pump would stop working while driving and and almost gotme stranded a couple times lol, this is a different issue. It could also honestly be that with the headers and 3 in dual dumped at the axle in running so lean that when I go to start the car again there's not enough fuel in the system to start it properly. Come to think of it I don't remember having aby issues like this until after we did the headers and I put the exhaust on.... Hmm dammit lol
i didn't have any fuel issue's until i did my exhaust too lol
keep us updated.

btw when you drive do you get any misfires? does the car bog like it's going to die while driving?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
i didn't have any fuel issue's until i did my exhaust too lol
keep us updated.

btw when you drive do you get any misfires? does the car bog like it's going to die while driving?
Not usually any issues, occasionally whenit hard starts if I drive off fast without letting it idle fora few thenit bogs out a couple seconds but I usually don't have any issues that I can tell lol

Quick Reply: fuel pump question