Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Engine is TOAST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Engine is TOAST!!!

Driving home Wednesday after work...nothing special...cruising at about 70. About 5 minutes from the house, the V starts bucking a bit and losing power. I put it in neutral and coast to the nearest exit. Pull over on the side of the road and I can hear a small clicking sound. I get back into traffic and get to the nearest gas station so I can pop the hood and see if I can visually notice anything wrong.

As soon as I pull into the gas station, the transmission light comes on and the car starts knocking really loud. I pop the hood, and all looks fine, except for the audible knocking. Pressing the gas makes the knock faster, so I shut it down and call a tow truck.

Get the car to the stealership Thursday morning, and by that afternoon , the assessment is that a few of the lifters have gone out (the rollers went bad) and scored the camshaft. However, that is their first check on the engine.

I get a call this afternoon, and after a breakdown of the engine, they are finding slivers of metal all over the internals.

So...thank god for 125,000 mile warranty (I currently have ~48k). I purchased the car with 36k miles, so the warranty company wants to see any service records I have (oil change, etc) before they will act on anything.

So...let's see how this goes.

On the upside, if the engine gets replaced, maybe this will relieve me of having to remove the friggin stock cats on my own (See: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-ordered.html) to replace them with high-flows !
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtdestruction
Driving home Wednesday after work...nothing special...cruising at about 70. About 5 minutes from the house, the V starts bucking a bit and losing power. I put it in neutral and coast to the nearest exit. Pull over on the side of the road and I can hear a small clicking sound. I get back into traffic and get to the nearest gas station so I can pop the hood and see if I can visually notice anything wrong.

As soon as I pull into the gas station, the transmission light comes on and the car starts knocking really loud. I pop the hood, and all looks fine, except for the audible knocking. Pressing the gas makes the knock faster, so I shut it down and call a tow truck.

Get the car to the stealership Thursday morning, and by that afternoon , the assessment is that a few of the lifters have gone out (the rollers went bad) and scored the camshaft. However, that is their first check on the engine.

I get a call this afternoon, and after a breakdown of the engine, they are finding slivers of metal all over the internals.

So...thank god for 125,000 mile warranty (I currently have ~48k). I purchased the car with 36k miles, so the warranty company wants to see any service records I have (oil change, etc) before they will act on anything.

So...let's see how this goes.

On the upside, if the engine gets replaced, maybe this will relieve me of having to remove the friggin stock cats on my own (See: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...t-ordered.html) to replace them with high-flows !
Thank GOD for warranty!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell me that block on the cheap
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Did you get any of the oil changes late? They will void it even if you went 20 miles over. .
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Did you get any of the oil changes late? They will void it even if you went 20 miles over. .
Negative. Ever since GM started using the oil life monitor system the "every 3k mile" oil change bullshit came to an end. As long as there is no sludge in the engine, there's no way you could ever tell if the oil had been changed on time. All you have to do is say that oil get changed when the DIC tells you to do so.

When I worked as a tech at the dealer, I had an aftermarket warranty deny a customer when the rod bolt broke in an older C/K truck. Motor was clean as a whistle inside since the owner did the svc himself, no receipts though. Warranty denied him and I told the owner and the warranty company that i'd testify to the fact that maintenance was in no way a contributing factor. Owner got a new motor and the Service Manager advised that I should start looking for another job.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

why would the transmission light come on?
Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM
Negative. Ever since GM started using the oil life monitor system the "every 3k mile" oil change bullshit came to an end. As long as there is no sludge in the engine, there's no way you could ever tell if the oil had been changed on time. All you have to do is say that oil get changed when the DIC tells you to do so.

When I worked as a tech at the dealer, I had an aftermarket warranty deny a customer when the rod bolt broke in an older C/K truck. Motor was clean as a whistle inside since the owner did the svc himself, no receipts though. Warranty denied him and I told the owner and the warranty company that i'd testify to the fact that maintenance was in no way a contributing factor. Owner got a new motor and the Service Manager advised that I should start looking for another job.
That's why I refuse to work at any type of dealer.. All crooks

Last edited by punishmentcycle; 05-11-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DMM

Sounds like that dealer is stupid. I would love to have honest, thoughtful techs. Why would that dealer NOT want to push the repair to be covered under warranty, just about guaranteed payment. However if the customer had to pay, there's a chance he'd say nope and tow it home.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear this.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMM

Not sure about GM warranties but I've seen aftermarket warranties be voided for doing there own oil changes, having rims on the car, going over (by 20 miles) the required oil change limit...
Old 05-11-2013, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

In looking at the warranty policy, I cannot see an argument they can bring up that I cannot negate or justify. Let's just hope they play ball and realize that I take care of the car very well.

Not sure about the transmission light. That one was strange to me as well. Dealer is going to look into it though to see what the issue may be.

Waiting til Monday to see what comes next.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the block back!!! I need a donor for a 383 short block
Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
That's why I refuse to work at any type of dealer.. All crooks
Actually, I worked strictly at dealerships almost my entire career as a tech...except for two places, one being Carmax (who fired me because my son fell ill with AML Leukemia). My experience is that most shops perpetuate the horror that most people think of the dealer, however, dealer techs are far and away more honest than anyone else, even the mom and pop shops.

I can't tell you how many times I had a car show up with a miss and the (newly installed) cat conv glowing red hot with new coil pack, plug wires, etc. from other shops that could not fix the problem. I actually enjoyed being the "last resort", it was a little more challenging. One customer spent $3k trying to fix their Grand Prix at various shops and it ended up being a MAF sensor for $250. I was still the bad guy, dude came back and said I stole his brake light bulbs...

Originally Posted by sabastian458
Sounds like that dealer is stupid. I would love to have honest, thoughtful techs. Why would that dealer NOT want to push the repair to be covered under warranty, just about guaranteed payment. However if the customer had to pay, there's a chance he'd say nope and tow it home.
Yeah man, I could see his argument to a point being that I was "just a tech" and I didn't really have any business interjecting myself between the warranty company and the owner; however our loyalty should have been to the customer, not the warranty company since the warranty company doesn't come to our facility, the customer does.

Dumbass got fired anyway, didn't last 45 days there. I stopped turning wrenches shortly thereafter.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Spoke with stealership and warranty company is sending out a rep to verify. However, good/bad news is that 5 rollers failed, and only three of them have been found. So two are somewhere in the internals.

Should hear final warranty coverage go/no Wednesday evening!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtdestruction
Spoke with stealership and warranty company is sending out a rep to verify. However, good/bad news is that 5 rollers failed, and only three of them have been found. So two are somewhere in the internals.

Should hear final warranty coverage go/no Wednesday evening!

Sooo...

Your screen name is NOT just a catchy name, it's 100% appropriate lol

-meaty
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
Sooo...Your screen name is NOT just a catchy name, it's 100% appropriate lol
LMAO...yea...pretty much...
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope everything works in your favor!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Man I got my fingers crossed for you.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I only have good things to say about the local GM dealer here in Temecula. At least my experience was good. I had a bearing go bad in my Cobalts transmission. Had an exedy clutch, big grippy tires, solid engin and transmission mounts, and a catless downpipe on when I took it in. They were kinda being dicks about it for a bit, which I completely expected, but in the end I got a whole new transmission under warranty. Apparently as long as the tune was stock they really don't know how to argue about it at all. Sooooo I said all that to say this... Good luck, hopefully you were still fairly close to stock.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
Hope everything works in your favor!
Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Man I got my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks...

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Sooooo I said all that to say this... Good luck, hopefully you were still fairly close to stock.
Car is mostly stock...no tune, but shifter, catback and motor mounts. Which should not void any warranty. They could argue about motor mounts, but I cannot see how that could have caused any of this. The stockers more than likely made it worse until they were replaced.

Quick Reply: Engine is TOAST!!!