Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright so I have the shatty stock Monsoon system with a bunch of shatty blown speakers! lol

I plan on getting some new components for the front: JBL GTO608(any reviews of these would be great)

Also, I plan on ditching the DVC subs and hatch speakers and pulling the wires from rear to the sail panel so I can put some 6.5 full range speakers there. ( that should work....right?)

My question is...the stock fronts are 2ohm's so are the JBL's listed above...but from what I have read, the rear hatch speakers are 4 ohms.....would it hurt anything if I put some 2 ohm JBL628 or JBL638 in the sail panel using the wires from the hatch?

Thanks in advance

BTW this is in a 99' TRANS AM

Or actually, overall is it a bad idea to get rid of the dvc subs? Would the system lack bass entirely?

I don't need ground shaking bass or anything just looking for a nice well rounded sound.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-12-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T do full range in the sails, you only want bass to midrange around 1k Hz TOPS in that location otherwise they will over power the fronts and pull the soundstage to behind you, to give you a frame of reference, on the NON-monsoon systems they use 10 Ohm 2-ways there which means they pull less then half the power the front 4 ohms do and they did that because otherwise it would pull the sound back, If you eliminate any speakers at all then I would suggest redoing everything, new speakers, an amp properly matched to the RMS of the new speakers and a proper HU with 4 volt RCA's to send good sound to everything.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
DON'T do full range in the sails, you only want bass to midrange around 1k Hz TOPS in that location otherwise they will over power the fronts and pull the soundstage to behind you, to give you a frame of reference, on the NON-monsoon systems they use 10 Ohm 2-ways there which means they pull less then half the power the front 4 ohms do and they did that because otherwise it would pull the sound back, If you eliminate any speakers at all then I would suggest redoing everything, new speakers, an amp properly matched to the RMS of the new speakers and a proper HU with 4 volt RCA's to send good sound to everything.

Well this is on a huge budget, in process of buying my first house. I do plan on a total system overhaul at some point but for now I just need something to work. So I would be better off getting some new audiopipe or bazooka dvc subs for the sails?

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade help