Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp only works when parking lights are on

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp only works when parking lights are on

I have a 2001 Trans Am with a stock amp and an aftermarket head unit. The radio plays VERY softly when I turn it on. When I turn the psrking lights on the amp turns on and I get much better sounds from the speakers. I'm guessing the amp is somehow powered by the light switch. I replaced the switch and the problem still exists. The wiring looked unmolested at the switch. I checked the wiring at the amp too and it looks unmolested. I just boughtbthe car and its my forst experience with a GM amp. Does anybody know how I can find and fix the problem?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Check the harness on the back of the Head unit, there IS a wire or 2 connected wrong there, hopefully the person who installed it bought a harness adapter and didn't hack into the factory wiring. Sounds like the PO looped the dimmer wire back to be a remote wire for the factory amp.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory amp doesn't have a remote wire
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the ideas I looked andthe wiring was ct at one time but all spliced back real nice before the factory wiring harness.

I have two factory radios I've tried with the car Neither produces any volume whether the parking light switch is off or on. However, the aftermarket radio creates a very low volume with the parking light switch off and high volumer ith the parking light switch on. What do you make of that?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some wires gotta be crossed allowing backfeed
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. I still can't find the crossed wires. I tried the stock pontiac radio tonight. I plug in the harness with the lights off and the radio does everything it should... except make any sound. I turn on the lights and still no sound but the radio turns off after 45 seconds. The clock still works though. Does this help me track down the crossed wire?

If I never find the crossed wire then is there a work around? Of course, I'd prefer to keep the wiring as stock as possible.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

take a picture of what you connect that amp wire into
Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best "remote wire"?

What is the preferred method to tap in a remote wire for an aftermarket amp? In spare tire location....

I was thinking I could use the CD changer or Monsoon amp, but neither seem to have their own "remote" wire.

Quick Reply: Amp only works when parking lights are on