LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought a 93 TA with mods, questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 93 TA with mods, questions.

So im crossing over from the ford scene so im pretty naive when it comes to these engines, well anything chevy other than trucks.

So basicly my question is what do I need to know about these cars well my year particularly. The car has mods, the ones posted in my sig, im the third owner and it was all done by the first owner. The second one pretty much ragged it out and I've been working on it for a couple days now.

Does my car need a tune? It doesn't have cats but does that matter, I mean cat sensor wise? The engine check light doesn't come up, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I would get a tune because of the fact that you have a 58mm TB. Do you have a 58mm intake too??

There's no reason not to get a tune, even stock cars benefit from tunes.

Check out the FAQ sticky in this sections for basics man. Too much to just throw at you.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guppymech
Welcome to the forum. You've just bought the reddest headed stepchild of the clan. The '93 uses speed density for fueling. They all can benefit from a performance tune with premium fuel, check out Madtuner.com.
Good news is that it looks like the PO changed the oil regularly, that's a big plus. Resist the temptation to wash the engine, the front mounted distributor (opti-spark) is sensitive to water damage and they're expensive to purchase.
Good Luck.

Tom
Well I did get alot of it wet when I was flushing out the coolant system but I haven't turned on the car so am I in the clearing?

I would get a tune because of the fact that you have a 58mm TB. Do you have a 58mm intake too??
Well the CAI mounts over it so yeah, I guess so.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the '93 family. These cara don't need a tune for deleting the cat, they don't have downstream o2's. As far as tunes, they're a bit harder to come by since its a chip as opposed to the flashable style. Either way they're still fun cars. Just be prepared for some different issues compared to everyone else.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by duh
Welcome to the '93 family. These cara don't need a tune for deleting the cat, they don't have downstream o2's. As far as tunes, they're a bit harder to come by since its a chip as opposed to the flashable style. Either way they're still fun cars. Just be prepared for some different issues compared to everyone else.
So how do I check to see if the car is already chipped?

Also, is my transmission fluid worth flushing out or will it cause me problems down the road, the car has 127k miles.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the trans has never been touched, leave it. It'll cause more problems then its worth. You can see if its chipped by opening the PCM service door and the chipset will usually have some sort of identification on it.

Quick Reply: Bought a 93 TA with mods, questions.