General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

knocking sound /top of motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default knocking sound /top of motor

The other night I got out of my car while it was running after a short trip to the store. I noticed a knocking sound comming from the motor. Not a constant knocking sound. It sounds like there is something inside the intake manifold or the passenger side of the top intermittently knocking sort of like a bolt is rattling inside the top.It does not sound like a rod knock.I notice that when it is cold on start up it is dead quiet.When it warms up it starts to do it.Not a steady knocking.

I took off the valve cover on the passenger side and there was nothing inside. Rockers all intact, no broken pushrods. I turned the motor over with the valve cover off and all plugs out.Watched the valvetrain move, checked the rockers,pushrods look ok. Gave it a compression check,2,4,6,8 readings are ok.Took a screwdriver on my ear to parts on top and nothing found.

I did a search and read lots of posts by the way.I thought it might be a lifter or maybe a pushrod.Still I don't know. Do you guys have any suggestions what I should check or what it might be? I am trying to get my friend the ford mechanic to listen to it,but he hasn't had time.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my friend the ford mechanic come over to listen to the noise. He doesn't think is a lifter,pushrod,rocker arm. He said it's not a rod knock.You can hear it inside the intake with a stethascope and some other places.I put another spare egr valve.This has me stumped.

It is is running kinda lean so I went from a ngk tr55 to a tr6 spark plug.I thought maybe the knock sensors were not working.I removed the serpentine belt and ran it and that did nothing. This thing has me completely baffled as to what it is. I need you peoples help with suggestions.

Quick Reply: knocking sound /top of motor