Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Is this GTO a steal or Headache?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this GTO a steal or Headache?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3791400531.html

seems like a 30k car for 16k... It does have a rebuilt title, that scares me as far as I don't know the full story behind it but I am sure a car fax could clear that up. I am looking to buy a car that is already somewhat built or that has bolt ons at least.

Any thoughts? Stray away or take an hour trip to see it?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

God I wish I got my 70k mile GTO for that price with those goodies. But in all seriousness you really need to look at that car in depth before buying. I say it's worth looking at but only with a very knowledgeable mechanic and or body guy.

-It sounds like a headache
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

If u look at the second pic of the right rear the alignment is way off or subframe is tweeked... also the hood doesnt line up which says something about the quality of body repair after the damage. I would say worth a look if u know what ur looking at.. where in IL is it I am local if its close I would go take a look for u.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skidooingit
If u look at the second pic of the right rear the alignment is way off or subframe is tweeked... also the hood doesnt line up which says something about the quality of body repair after the damage. I would say worth a look if u know what ur looking at.. where in IL is it I am local if its close I would go take a look for u.
Thank you I will let you know where he is exactly located. I did not catch those minor details even in the pics. I am not a certified mechanic but I have done quite a lot of wrenching on my share of vehicles!

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
God I wish I got my 70k mile GTO for that price with those goodies. But in all seriousness you really need to look at that car in depth before buying. I say it's worth looking at but only with a very knowledgeable mechanic and or body guy.

-It sounds like a headache

I know, it all seems too good to be true... Also I thought I saw this car for sale in my area a few months ago... but I could be wrong

Thanks guys
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worse comes to worse sell the blower throw an intake on it and sell the car for more.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see an r title car being worth 16k. Minus 30% from kbb as a starting point. Also the repair to the front looks sketchy
Old 05-13-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It takes a fair bit of damage to earn a rebuilt title. For example my Camaro SS was hit 3x, 2 minor and one that I don't know about. Total for repairs over the 2 that happened to me were like 6k because they didn't do the repairs correctly the first time. Even with that much repairs on a car it didn't earn a rebuilt title. His fender and front end must have been hit really hard. I'm imagining he hit someone at 40+ when someone was close to stopped. You'll have a seriously hard time selling it if you ever need to since you won't know every detail that they know.

Last edited by HumanNipple; 05-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gto's seem to total out fairly quickly due to the cost of parts. I agree it was more than a fender bender for sure. Probably a pretty good shot for sure
Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id drive it first but a rebuilt title would keep me away.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I have seen this car around my area, far northwest side of chicago, looks clean, sounds real good. the car has been for sale forever! thats about all i know.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by guido sarducci
I have seen this car around my area, far northwest side of chicago, looks clean, sounds real good. the car has been for sale forever! thats about all i know.
I know I swear I saw it in on CL for forever and he is Kinda pushy on the sale of the car to me
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP what did you end up doing?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Hi, I bought this car about 3 months ago and I am the current owner. I`m not pushy to sell it by any means. It seems like that it's getting hated because of the title. I clearly disclosed to you in our conversation that I got the alignment quoted and they said it will only take about 2-3 hours max for $290. The only reason I`m selling the car is that because I`m moving to California and I`m not sure if I will have a garage over there so I`d rather see it go in a place where I know it will be safe and always be clean. You know how Los Angeles is.. I`d rather sell it and keep its good condition and keep the car intact.

I also have MOST of the paperwork for the repairs and still have the original window sticker and such..
I am the third owner and It`s a nice car. Drives straight and drives like brand new. come look at it for yourself and post your findings here if you'd like since I`m confident you will fall in love with it like I did. Be safe
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Banned

OP what did you end up doing?
Nothing yet, I am still looking at a lot of cars. I have a very hard time deciding haha. I am also looking into G8's and srt8 chargers

Originally Posted by rotter21
Hi, I bought this car about 3 months ago and I am the current owner. I`m not pushy to sell it by any means. It seems like that it's getting hated because of the title. I clearly disclosed to you in our conversation that I got the alignment quoted and they said it will only take about 2-3 hours max for $290. The only reason I`m selling the car is that because I`m moving to California and I`m not sure if I will have a garage over there so I`d rather see it go in a place where I know it will be safe and always be clean. You know how Los Angeles is.. I`d rather sell it and keep its good condition and keep the car intact.

I also have MOST of the paperwork for the repairs and still have the original window sticker and such..
I am the third owner and It`s a nice car. Drives straight and drives like brand new. come look at it for yourself and post your findings here if you'd like since I`m confident you will fall in love with it like I did. Be safe

I hear ya man just trying to ask the community what they think, I appreciate you being up forward and honest with the car so far. Cars do have their secrets though, some even the owners don't know heh , I know mine did when bought it
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I understand. I don't have a problem bringing the car to a body shop or a mechanic if that would make you feel more comfortable. I'm not trying to hide anything. By the way, the last owner had the car up for a month and I've had the car up for a month too. It hasn't been up for a while, I just always change my mind so I keep putting it back and taking it out. I need to sell it now though since I'm moving. You guy are more than welcome to look at it and decide for yourself. Just let me know. All paperwork provided too. Be safe
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Teching In

I buy and sell salvage all the time. It just depends on the damage that was done and how it was repaired. Just be very through
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

^^Agree. They aren't all bad. It takes a little more inspection to make you feel confident buying a car but if it checks out, the only difference you will have is the title which nobody even sees. This car only needs minor lining up and it's good to go. I just don't have time to get it done because I`m at my office almost 12 hours a day and don't have time to drive it except Sundays if that. Just let me know if you are interested on the car GAGT3100.
Be safe.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Teching In

It takes a fair bit of damage to earn a rebuilt title. For example my Camaro SS was hit 3x, 2 minor and one that I don't know about. Total for repairs over the 2 that happened to me were like 6k because they didn't do the repairs correctly the first time. Even with that much repairs on a car it didn't earn a rebuilt title. His fender and front end must have been hit really hard. I'm imagining he hit someone at 40+ when someone was close to stopped. You'll have a seriously hard time selling it if you ever need to since you won't know every detail that they know.
Are you getting it confused with a reconstructed title? A rebuilt title is a salvage title car that was fixed and brought up to code for street driveability and is inspected by the state in 2 separate times and pass both times for it to be street legal again. I`m just wondering if that's what you meant since the car wasn't hit hard. The only frame damage it had was the radiator support which was replaced by the body shop (paperwork provided).
Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rotter21
Are you getting it confused with a reconstructed title? A rebuilt title is a salvage title car that was fixed and brought up to code for street driveability and is inspected by the state in 2 separate times and pass both times for it to be street legal again. I`m just wondering if that's what you meant since the car wasn't hit hard. The only frame damage it had was the radiator support which was replaced by the body shop (paperwork provided).
I was just saying it takes alot of damage to get anything put on the title is all.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Teching In

I gotcha. It really depends per inspector and insurance company in each states. Anyway, the only thing that matters is that it was fixed right and it drives like it should. I like the feedbacks I hear though. It's always good to hear what other people think. Cheers

Quick Reply: Is this GTO a steal or Headache?