Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Powdercoating and gasket surfaces... ugg

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powdercoating and gasket surfaces... ugg

So i took my timing cover, rear cover, intake, oil pan and valley cover and had them powdercoated at a local powdercoater. When he powder coated my covers, he coated both sides including the gasket mating surface, along with my oil pan pan rail, and the gasket surface of the valley cover. My injector holes in my aluminum intake are also powder coated. is this going to cause a sealing issue? the powdercoat is even distributed and is smooth, but i dont wanna take a chance on it cracking or whatever else may happen. should i get it off or leave it be? Any tips if i have to remove it from the areas... ?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude you can't run it like that especially in the injector holes. What was he thinking?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see it being a issue but you can use a buff wheel on a angle grinder and buff the powder coat off if needed .
Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Really? Powder coating in the intake whole for the injector? The injector might not fit. And what if it comes apart and blocks an injector? Don't risk it. Grind that **** off the gasket surface also.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

well **** me. he blasted the intake so much the inside of the injector hole is coarse. now wtf do i do...
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

I had an issue with a powder-coater doing this. He blasted my calipers and gauled all the threads and piston bores. I turned them in as cores on new calipers and then spray painted them.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

This is a tough one because you don't want to get there and scrap it away. You might scratch the matting surface for the injector o ring. Is there any chemical that will disolve powder coating?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

I decided to work on a few pieces that were "over coated" and a soft wire wheel took the PC right off for me. Also, brake cleaner dissolved that powder coat like nobodys business. I put some brake cleaner on a rag or Q-tip and it took it right off.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Teching In

This is unfortunate, as a powder coating technician, i know to never do any of those things, as should anyone reputable. If at all possible take it back and ask him about what he's willing to do to fix the situation. anything that has the ability to abrasively remove the powder coat would also mar the gasket surface and more than likely be unusable, some powders are more chemically resistant to certain solvents. being that the parts are aluminum you can not have them burned off. brake cleaner may work, but it still takes a lot of elbow grease, and i mean a lot, very time consuming. You NEED to see what he's willing to do to fix the issue. it would be virtually impossible to remove powder from an injector hole via chemical means, ALSO, powder does crack, it is decently flexible, but torque'd between two pieces + heat, probably isn't going to end good.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran into this issue a couple months ago on some pieces I had coated. i found that brake cleaner softened it up enough to scrape off with a razor blade. It was a PITA. It's a shame when you pay someone top dollar to coat parts and they fail to use their brain when masking stuff off.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

i appreciate the help guys. my main concern is the injector bores on the intake. even if i remove the powdercoat, the surface of thru aluminum is rough, almost feels like a grinding stone. i dont know if the o-ring will seal correctly on that kind of surface. along with the gasket surfaces of the covers. i can probably remove the powdercoat, but then im left with a rough aluminum surface for the gasket. im beyond pissed. ill try to get some pictures today l.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

So what did the coater say?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would be all over your powder coater like a spider monkey asking what he's going to do about the parts he's essentially ruined for you; if he did the same to all the covers, you're never going to get them to seal properly.

All those sealing surfaces need to be masked before the part gets blasted, and then masked again after cleaning/de-gassing before coating.

Sounds like you got bent over by this incompetent shop.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

i havent got a hold.of him yet. im at work. im going to give AES a call since they built my engine and get their opinion also
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

They will say the same thing. Don't put your whole engine together for the 1% chance that nothing leaks. Its going to break down and you will have to take it all apart Again
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

If that pc came of by wiping w/ brake cleaner, it wasn't cured correctly....
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Your powder guy must be on some powder or something dude. That is retarded. The only thing I can say you might try is heating it back up, that **** starts to flow at 400-450 I believe. Easier said that done though.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the powder coating is quite fresh, gasket remover will bubble it and make it easier to get off. Not sure how much time has past though....
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

sorry guys, got busy yesterday. i spoke with AES and they said the same thing. they weren't really concerned with the aluminum surface as much as the PC on the gasket surface. i ended up taking back my rear and front cover, valley cover and oil pan to be reblasted. i go today to approve the masking stage before he PC it again. i got my intake yesterday. the PC looks good but he got PC in the runners dso im not letting him touch the intake again. im goint to take it to another PCer. i did try some aircraft paint remover that comes in a quart on the injector holes and it made quick work of the PC but it made the area around the hole look like ****. i was as careful as possible but that **** is hard to manage. imma pay someone else to do my intake. hopefully my covers turn out. if not im getting a refund

Quick Reply: Powdercoating and gasket surfaces... ugg