Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help out the new LS guy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Help out the new LS guy!

Hey guys well im new to the ls world (mustang guy for 15 years) but I have been shown the "light" by a fellow friend and tuner Dennis @ Redline Performance. Anyways after looking for quite a bit I found a 99 Pewter Trans am locally... I got a super deal on it but the car needs some minor tlc on the interior (leather seats shot) and 3rd gear in the tranny (A4) is out. I just picked up OEM 20k rebuilt 4l60e with an almost brand new Yank ss4000 stall. I have a brand new NX nitrous kit that I plan on spraying 150 eventually as well. Basically I would be more than happy with a 11sec maybe high 10sec street car. I defiantly plan on putting the car on a diet but im keeping the AC since its scorching hot in the FL sun lol. Any tips on the bolt on's I should do and don't? any help would be appreciated! thanks guys!

Also what is the most preffered shift kit and tranny cooler since ill be doing these mods first. I also plan on doing long tubes and ory while im doing the tranny. Anyone have any feedback on the speed engineering stuff? I see the price of the ebay stuff is tempting but is the quality questionable????

YES I HAVE SEARCHED, but I can only make my own assumptions on what to do and not do so much. I would like personal feedback if possible. Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the 99 I would start out with a LS6 intake swap or a fast 92 if you have the $$$. Go with some 1-7/8 long tube headers and cat back. Kook's headers get my vote but they are expencive. Also look in to a lid and fast toy "ram air"

Welcome to the dark side BTW...
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks man the actually has a slp lid on it with a K&N filter. Its the only aftermarket part on the car right now. do I need to do an uprgraded throttle body with the fast intake?>
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

When my car was a stalled auto, I ran a B&M transmission cooler mounted in front of the A/C condensor. I'm pretty sure it was the 24,000 GVW unit. Like the guy above me said, everyone does longtube headers, and since you have a 99, the LS6 intake. I've ran a set of Pacesetter coated longtubes with a TSP ORY and TSP Rumbler for the past 5 years and they have held up great. Also, like arleady mentioned, get an aftermarket air lid. An SLP lid can be purchased for under $100 new. Most people also add a set of subframe connectors as one of their first mods. I've had the UMI 3 points for a few years now and have been very happy with them.

If you want to run a ram air kit like the Super Sucker or Fast Toys ram air, you'll have to mount your transmission cooler "dope" style.

WS6 Store, Texas Speed, Tick Performance, Speed inc, Hawks 3rd Gen, and many others listed along the right side of the page are great places to buy parts. >>>>

With the usual bolt-ons, the converter you have, a tune, and traction, you should easily have a 12 second car.

Check http://www.ls1sounds.com to listen to exhaust setups.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Launching!

yeah i have been looking at the JAWS ssra. seems like the best option since i am keeping ac. I am very tempted to buy the ebay headers bc ive seen so many positive reviews but im not sure who i should buy them from. They all look the same but im not sure if i should get certain ones from a certain dealer... anyone have any info?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dose the car already have a ls6 intake ?a ls6 intake with a ported throttle body is a good mod.or consider a bbk or weiand aluminum intake .those intakes can use a 85 mm 3 bolt TB.a fast 78 mm intake uses 3 bolt TB.a fast 90-102 mm intake uses a 4 bolt intake.some people recommend a fast intake with a head swap.Texas Speed is a good place to price out parts .
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Serioussn95
I just picked up OEM 20k rebuilt 4l60e with an almost brand new Yank ss4000 stall. I have a brand new NX nitrous kit that I plan on spraying 150 eventually as well. Basically I would be more than happy with a 11sec maybe high 10sec street car. I defiantly plan on putting the car on a diet but im keeping the AC since its scorching hot in the FL sun lol. Any tips on the bolt on's I should do and don't? any help would be appreciated! thanks guys!
. I also plan on doing long tubes and ory while im doing the tranny.
ok you are allready putting long tubes and ory maybe add a cutout then you have the exit all cleared out lol.

you also mention further down that it has a lid more intake items like suggested above is good but I have found on other cars that i knew i was going to spray (3800sc cars I own/owned) that i could skip the intake mods till later since that big cold dense shot is going to fill the intake charge pretty well regardless of whats there for components and concentrate on the exhaust to let it all pass through.

you allready have a nice stall but you should look into how that stall plays with a 150 shot since its not nitrous specific you may want to back the shot down a bit (100 shot???) but concentrate on good dr's to hook the stalled/sprayed car and traction devices to also aid in the putting the power down department.

the nice thing about spray even in small quantities is its like density altitude in a bottle since it comes out at -120* so it will negate the hot fla weather .

with the things you are allready doing if you can put the power to the ground your going to meet your goals i guess is what i am saying-you allready list enough things your doing to make the power needed. If you also want it to be strong when not spraying then for sure do more intake mods and of course tune is going to be huge but I assume your buddys helping you out there ?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM

For the shift kit use a transgo one its a big blue box it costs around 100 bucks and it gives a nice second gear scratchand depending on your mods a third gear scratch

Quick Reply: Help out the new LS guy!