General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New noise

Hey whats up guys.

Noticed this when I pulled into my garage today, goes away when I put it in park, soon as I put it in R or D comes right back. Kind of sounds like its coming from the alternator. I checked all the metal lines under it and the metal air hose near the headers none of its touching or rattling so idk.. I can't find anything rattling, any of you ever get a noise like this?

Kinda strange that it goes away in park and rev'n it in park doesn't make it come back and rev'in it D makes it go away so I'm thinking its not valvetrain related..'

Heres the vid,

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

The reason its coming back in D or R, is because, whatever it is, comes back under load. I would take the serp. belt off & start it. Have someone put it into gear, and see if it comes back. If it doesn't, then you know that its something that's driven by the belt.

You shouldn't run it long like that, but it will def. give you an idea on where to start.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I also notice once I put it in Park and shut it off and the motor shakes while its shutting off I hear the rattle.

Why would it not make the noise when I rev if its a pulley or something like that???

I was hunting again today when I got home and it REALLY sounds like its coming from the alternator but theres no noticeable shaking or anything like that.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87
I also notice once I put it in Park and shut it off and the motor shakes while its shutting off I hear the rattle.

Why would it not make the noise when I rev if its a pulley or something like that???

I was hunting again today when I got home and it REALLY sounds like its coming from the alternator but theres no noticeable shaking or anything like that.
That's because whatever it is is happening under a load (transmission engaged, against brakes). I would pull belt and start, then have someone put it into drive.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Teching In

alright, I'll do that tomorrow morning. Thanks

Quick Reply: New noise