Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Clearance

Still trying to get below 5 degrees trans angle on my 72' Chevelle. Like to hear some thoughts on how close I can go with the bottom of the Holley oil pan and the frame crossmember. Really trying not to have to cut the tunnel.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you move the engine forward or backwards ?

If moved backwards, the engine will drop down some as the slop of the pan moves that direction. (may or maybe work for you).

If moved froward, the trans moves forward into the larger area of the Trans Tunnel.

both or neither may or maybe work for you... but that is a suggestion. I did moved my engine forward 1/2" on my Nova Project and it help just enough on a few tight spots (was originally set up for 1" setbacks).

BC
Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

I have the engine/trans and frame mounts loose so that I can move it. Tried forward and back, swapped engine plates side to side, turned the energy suspension poly motor mounts upside down which was supposed to lower the engine a little, but it didn't. The only thing I haven't done is remove the backing plate on the energy supsension poly mounts but not sure if I should do that.
Most swaps I have read about where the 4l60 trans was used didn't have to cut the tunnel so trying to do the same.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Default Same problem with my skylark

I had the same problem with my 72 skylark, my suggestion is to modify the pan to fit. If I had to do it all over again that is what I would do. I really liked the looks of the Holley pan and liked the fact that it had charictoristics of the stock pan. I would cut the pan belly out and put in a flat plate and then notch the sides for the steering clearance. I have not found a pan that works with no problems in a 68-71 A-body. I installed a champ pan which has the best cross member clearance but still had steering draglink and tie rod clearences when I tried to lower the engine for less than 3.5 degrees. It did give me a half inch lower than the Holley pan did. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How close it the pan coming to the frame? Mine clears by half an inch at the tightest spot, and ny trans angle is maybe one degree. I'm using a different pan, however, which is some you might want to research. The 'vette batwing is what did the trick for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input. The Holley pan is only clearing the frame by about 1/4 inch. Probably have to work on the trans tunnel to get my 3 degree angle.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Clearance