Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Pipe Modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Pipe Modification

Just an improvement on a typical setup. The first attachment is the old setup, the second is the completion, and the last is the V-bands secured. I had the exhaust shop remove the reduction at the end of the Kooks Y that went from 3" to 2.75" and the section of pipe to a point just beyond where the weld-in cutout was located. I bought a 2' section of 3" OD 16 gauge 304 stainless tubing from ebay, a new QTP stainless cutout, and stainless V-band clamps. This will give me an easy way to remove the exhaust to access the transmission. Also this makes it 3" OD all the way to the cutout and then 2.75" back to the muffler. At the rate I mod this setup will suit my current and future mods for a good while.

On a side note, I was concerned about the expansion of the one end of the 3" OD pipe to slip fit on to the end of the Y since I have read about the possibility of it splitting. The fabricator had no issue with this piece...maybe because it was 16 gauge and not thinner?

The type of V-bands I used did not use a nut so this concerned me with them loosening so the fabricator suggested the rod to secure them together which I thought was pretty slick.
Attached Thumbnails I Pipe Modification-011.jpg   I Pipe Modification-015.jpg   I Pipe Modification-013.jpg  

Last edited by ssgunny; 05-20-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: I Pipe Modification