Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nubie 4l60 rebuild advice....please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question nubie 4l60 rebuild advice....please chime in.

Hello....I just picked up a 4l60 out of a ls1 camaro that was working fine when pulled 2 years ago( he said).i took a gamble and got it for 150 bucks trans is clean with bright red fluid leaking in the bed of my truck.My ? is is a rebuild in order or throw it in and see what faith has is store.The tranny is going in my lsx swapped g body 5.3,ls6 cam with milled 243s so its not trans brakeing powerhouse that i read about distroying transmissons.Sooo with that said i would like to build a nice upgraded street trans to run 75-80 on the freeway but can handle the wot throttle,posi and 373s thats in the car.What would be a good recipe of parts or kit to achive what im looking for.. thanks in advance for all the advice...

Last edited by 5.3 cutty; 05-19-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Since it already has the Corvette servo, just add the modified TransGo Street/Strip Shift kit with the pre-drilled separator plate. Go to: https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=64&page=1 I will remove the Corvette servo from the kit and reduce the total price. As long as the transmission is still in good working order, this should make a big difference here. And if you decide to build the transmission in the future, you will not have to buy and install this all over again. Call me with any questions.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trans has around 50,000 miles on it.was told that it was in good working order.i was thinking since by it sitting the cluches and hard parts become dry and all the fluid is in the pan.what if i filled the trans up with fluid and let it sit and every thing soak in fresh fluid maby even fliping it over and pouring fluid from the botton to oil everything back up....
anyone ever ran a tranny after it sat for a while???
Old 05-20-2013, 05:10 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

As long as there wasn't any moisture getting into the transmission, you should be fine. I have taken apart transmissions that have been sitting for over ten years and they were fine on teardown. Once you add fluid and start it up, just drive it easy for the first ten miles manually upshifting it (no downshifting till you stop) with no more than a 1/3 throttle to get all the air out of everything. You will see how everything is after that.

Quick Reply: nubie 4l60 rebuild advice....please chime in.