Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird/Trans Am confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird/Trans Am confusion

So ive been looking at alot of trans ams lately since im buying my first one this week, but im a lil confused on somethings ive noticed

1)on some ive looked at it the "trans am" letters on the fender are colored, but on the rear square piece where the trunk keyhole is it doesnt say "trans am" in red ,but on some others it does

2)what is the difference between the "firebird formula" & the "trans am", is it just a different way of saying the same thing?

3)the cars with the smaller spoiler are firebirds not trans ams right? like in 1) i see on the back it says "firebird" instead of trans am, is there a performance or option difference.

sorry for all the questions lol. can someone set me straight on all this.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firebird is the base. Trans Am and Formula are different option packages on the Firebird. From 93-02 any non TA or Formula is a v6 car. A Formula is more like a base model with a V8 where a TA is a V8 and has more options.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V8 or go home lol
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firebird= v6 body v6 drive train
Trans Am= v8 body v8 drive train
Fomula= v6 body v8 drive train

Ws6/Firehawk/etc are all packages..
Therefore a Ws6 could be a Ws6 trans am or a Ws6 formula.

They are all firebirds...

firebird
firebird formula
firebird trans am
firebird formula ws6
etc

This is directed towards 98-02.... There were some odd options in the early Lt1 (93-97) cars. The GT... The low rise on the Trans am, etc.. Gets kind of confusing, although the name doesn't change.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Yea, I'm talking about 98-02, I looked up the vin decoder Vs are formulas/trans am & S are the v6 firebirds I think.

So if it has the bigger spoiler but doesn't say "trans am" on the back, then it's a formula right?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Whiplash88
Yea, I'm talking about 98-02, I looked up the vin decoder Vs are formulas/trans am & S are the v6 firebirds I think.

So if it has the bigger spoiler but doesn't say "trans am" on the back, then it's a formula right?
Unless someone has changed things from the way it came from the factory.....

If it has a lowrise spoiler and says firebird it is a v6 body/power plant
If it has a lowrise spoiler and says formula it is a v6 body/v8 power plant
If it has a highrise spoiler it will always be a v8 body/v8 power plant

Some of the Firehawks came with a modified lowrise spoiler. From a distance it looks like a lowrise but when you get up on it they have a "lip" that flips up. Very rare, I have only seen one in person.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12

Some of the Firehawks came with a modified lowrise spoiler. From a distance it looks like a lowrise but when you get up on it they have a "lip" that flips up. Very rare, I have only seen one in person.
The best way to tell what car your looking at us to use the RPO codes on the door. That is how I identified mine. It cleared up many of my questions very quickly...WS9+Y82= Trans Am. Do a search on this site and you'll find many threads on it.

Sometimes you just never know the history of a car, anyone can swap out a junkyard hatch with a different wing on it if the original is damaged, and the tail light filler panel can be changed easily as well.

Hope all this info helps you out, happy hunting!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A Formula will actually say FIREBIRD on the filler panel (the thing between the taillights)...but will say FORMULA on the door not FIREBIRD.

If there is nothing on the filler panel its been sanded off and polished.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Just like the others are saying, a firebird is the v6 model. Formula is basically is V8 Firebird, and the Trans Am also has a V8 and generally has most (if not all) of the available options. The trunk filler panel, I believe, only started being filled in with red or whatever color toward the end of the fourth gen. (correct me if I'm wrong on that last one). Many websites (Phoenix Graphix) have a decal you can purchase in red for the panel. If you are purchasing, get the Trans Am, you won't regret it!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Do those have the strips of leds for third brakelight? I know of a car out here that confuses me one the door it says 35th anv (I think, may be a different year but its ls1) but it has ws6 hood, different lowrise wing, and trans am front bumper. Just don't know why somebody would want to swap that out or if it was a factory option.

And my '99 TA says trans am in the filler panel
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 438 Likes on 317 Posts

Unless it's a convertible . Just thought I'd add to your confusion.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Unless it's a convertible . Just thought I'd add to your confusion.
lol

im definately not getting a V6 firebird .alot of the pics people post on ads its hard to see if it says formula or trans am cause the letters blend in with the paint. i just thought there was a performance difference between the formula & trans am.

on a side note, is the "ram air" letters on the hood a sticker or badge? also are the "trans am" letters on the fender stickers/badges/ or painted on?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the 3rd gen, the term "Formula" has always referred to a base Firebird with a V8 engine.

To add to the confusion even more... LT1 Trans Ams didn't always come with up level spoilers.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 05-20-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol

im definately not getting a V6 firebird .alot of the pics people post on ads its hard to see if it says formula or trans am cause the letters blend in with the paint. i just thought there was a performance difference between the formula & trans am.
The only real way to tell the difference between a Formula and a Firebird if the side emblems have been removed is to look under the hood. If there's a V8, it's a Formula.

on a side note, is the "ram air" letters on the hood a sticker or badge?
sticker

also are the "trans am" letters on the fender stickers/badges/ or painted on?
They're plastic letters stuck on the side of the car.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Since the 3rd gen, the term "Formula" has always referred to a base Firebird with a V8 engine.

To add to the confusion even more... LT1 Trans Ams didn't always come with up level spoilers.

yup, all 1993 T/A's had the uplevel spoiler (saw one car without it but it was a prototype and had a rare shaped dashpad too)

then in 94 you had your GT with the uplevel spoiler and regular t/a without
95-96 or 97? they dropped the GT and the spoiler became a ~$400 option RPO code T43 on the regular trans am. I have seen some fully loaded 1995 trans ams (Leather, ttops, Traction control whcih is rare for 95) without the rear spoiler which looked weird, and others less loaded that had the uplevel one lol.

then if you wanna get real confusing, there were some 1997 firehawks with the LT1 WS6 hood (different from early firehawk hood) that also had an optional uplevel T/A spoiler, so they look like a Formula WS6 with a T/A hatch....

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 05-20-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Could you get a formula with leather interior? For some reason I was thinking that was a trans am only option.

It is common for the lettering on the filler to just wear off.

To me pop the hood and see if its a v8 then look for the other options you want. I'd check the codes just to make sure it was a factory v8 and not a swap. I wouldn't want to take a chance on whoever swapped it cutting corners.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
yup, all 1993 T/A's had the uplevel spoiler (saw one car without it but it was a prototype and had a rare shaped dashpad too)

then in 94 you had your GT with the uplevel spoiler and regular t/a without
95-96 or 97? they dropped the GT and the spoiler became a ~$400 option RPO code T43 on the regular trans am. I have seen some fully loaded 1995 trans ams (Leather, ttops, Traction control whcih is rare for 95) without the rear spoiler which looked weird, and others less loaded that had the uplevel one lol.

then if you wanna get real confusing, there were some 1997 firehawks with the LT1 WS6 hood (different from early firehawk hood) that also had an optional uplevel T/A spoiler, so they look like a Formula WS6 with a T/A hatch....

lol
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Between the tail lights (bird logo and lettering) is very common to fade away. Sometimes, people sand off the faded remains, and other times, it fades away on its own lol.

-Formulas had the same exact drivetrain as Trans am's, but had the standard firebird body.
-Trans am's had highrise spoilers (with the exception of a non-GT 94), sideskirts, different front bumper, and the bigger rear bumper.
-Leather was available on the formulas, and standard on TA's.
-T-tops were available on formulas, and standard on TA's (except a non-GT 94)
-Automatic and Manual trannys were available on both TA's and Formulas
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

When you go and look at it open the hood and check to see if its a V8 or V6 its the best way to tell. A guy at Chattanooga State has a V6 camaro and he made it look like the SS. At first glance I saw it and was like its a Nice SS then I realized he only had 1 tail pipe and was like that's a nice replica. Point is a lot of people buy V6 cars and make them look like the V8 ones. The guy at my college def has a V6 bc No SS or WS6 came from factory with 1 tail pipe and the V8 versions sound completely different than a V6. His def sounds like a V6.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by "MAC"
When you go and look at it open the hood and check to see if its a V8 or V6 its the best way to tell. A guy at Chattanooga State has a V6 camaro and he made it look like the SS. At first glance I saw it and was like its a Nice SS then I realized he only had 1 tail pipe and was like that's a nice replica. Point is a lot of people buy V6 cars and make them look like the V8 ones. The guy at my college def has a V6 bc No SS or WS6 came from factory with 1 tail pipe and the V8 versions sound completely different than a V6. His def sounds like a V6.
98 Ws6 came with a single exit exhaust.

Quick Reply: Firebird/Trans Am confusion