PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a Tick torquemax S3 cam/heads 6.0 using an LS1 base tune - idle help

Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning a Tick torquemax S3 cam/heads 6.0 using an LS1 base tune - idle help

As the title says, I'm working on the tune for my brother's heads/cam LQ4, and am using a base LS1 F-body tune to work off of. I've read through all the idle tuning how-to's on the HP tuner forums, but they all point to the opposite of what I had to do to get this setup to idle decent.

Every write up I have seen says to take a percentage of fueling out of the VE table to get a big cam car to idle, because the cam is less efficient than a stocker. I ended up having to add in about 60-80% more fuel on the majority of the idle area to get the car to stay running. It doesn't even make sense to me though that you would want to take fuel out when increasing the lift by a large margin! Am I going retarded here in thinking that? Or am I just misunderstanding the write ups?

The car seems to be running quite well at the moment actually at idle. It holds a steady 1000 RPM, IAC counts are around 140-160, and AFR fluctuates between 14.2-14.6 during idle. STFT's are between -1.5% to -3.5%.

Just looking for a bit of help here from someone who knows what big cam cars like, and if using a stock LS1 VE table to work off of for this combo is ok or not. For reference, the cam in the setup is the Tick Performance torquemax S3 cam. It's a 235/243, .62x, .62x, 111+2.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Even though lift has increased, at idle the added overlap that the cam has will make the combustion event very inefficient creating a loss in VE thus needing to remove fuel at idle.

From the feedback I've gotten from customers that cam sounds best around a 850-900rpm idle.

Have you heard of or are you aware of the "Russ K Idle Configuration"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning a Tick torquemax S3 cam/heads 6.0 using an LS1 base tune - idle help