Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

stupid coolant light problem, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid coolant light problem, HELP!

So I'm having the silliest problem...

Driving home today my exhaust rattled off a hangar...I come home and back the car up onto my rhino ramps, reconnect it, then pull the car off....now since I have done that my low coolant light is on?????????

WHYYYYY?

Before you ask, I checked...the coolant is full to the brim, I did a search and I know that these sensors go bad, but this just seems like the stupidest reason for one to go bad....

any ideas as to how to get it to turn off??
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could just be dumb luck and has nothing to do with the exhaust. mine went bad out of the blue a few weeks ago and would come on with the key and not go off. sometimes if i turned the key on and off a few times it would come on and go off. i too had full coolant. i tried replacing the sensor with a new one from advance auto parts and that one wouldn't even light the light up for the self test even if i had the sensor removed from the car. i ended up putting the old sensor back in and returning the defective one and leaving the cable unplugged.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine came in the other day too while at the strip lol... I just shrugged it off, then today I popped my radiator cap and noticed I actually was low, even though my reservoir was full.... weird
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unplug the sensor lol
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

I tried 3 times to reset the computer, it finally went away.

It took me a little while to put 2 and 2 together, but I think I realize what happened- because I started it up while it was on the ramps, the coolant in the radiator was below or not touching the sensor because of the steep angle and it tripped the light....

After searching through the threads some more I discovered the fuse-removal computer reset trick...it then took me 3 attempts to be patient enough to wait the required amount of time to properly reset it...

I ran a few errand with the car just a little while ago, so far it's stayed off.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where is the coolant sensor so i cna unplug it, my resevoir and radiator are both full and the dumb *** light keeps coming and going randomly
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's on the passenger side of the radiator on the plastic edge facing the rear of the car about an inch or 2 below the radiator cap.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
where is the coolant sensor so i cna unplug it, my resevoir and radiator are both full and the dumb *** light keeps coming and going randomly
mine does that too, I'm just going to not hook it up when I out it back together, I have a more acurate guage to tell me when my coolant is low

Quick Reply: stupid coolant light problem, HELP!