LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My first lt1

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first lt1

How's it going I recently just got a 94 trans am bone stock from Florida the out side is excelant the interior is beat and needs all new from the heat and sun I wanna start doing some mods to it and build a 383 over winter but for now what bolt on's should I get? I was thinking full exhaust (eBay brand slp knock off) long tubes intake and tune anything else?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

i have a tsp rumbler with corsa clone tips and love it, its similar to the loudmouth design with the ability to buy with or without tips. Although i hear with headers and no cat your asking for a lot of rasp, the same with the loudmouth.

For an intake i would try and go ws6 airbox and hood if possible if not 1le elbow and a lingenfelter or K&N CAI.

Is it a t56 car? a pro 5.0 shifter or MGW does wonders if not a nice stall converter for your 4l60e.

Gears wake it up, 3.42 or 3.73 for auto 3.73 or 4.11 for t56.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Teching In

It's a 4l60e when that goes I'm going to convert to a t56 and 4.10's and I'll probably do the k and n for now I really like the sound of the borla but I don't want to spend that kind of money on the exhaust there is a guy on evay selling a used Corsa but he replaced the muffler with a magniflow.... Not really worth it to me

It also has original plugs and wires when I give it a tuneup whats a good plug wire combo to use like msd autolight?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not change those plugs until you do headers.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 lid swap is probably the cheapest cai solution. If you run longtubes and a catless Y you will want the borla if you don't like stupid loud exhaust notes. I have the SLP LM2 and have had a bunch of people bitch already. I love the sound personally, but the borla has the plates to keep it tame if need be at no power loss.

When you do plugs and wires with the headers use NGK TR55's and ACDelco wires. Don't buy cheap wires... I did and have to put new ones on less less than 1k miles later.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Awesome and I Am going to do the plugs and wires with the longtubs

Will the ls1 lid work with my stock hood? Stupid ?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

stock fire bird hood, plain and simply.... no not without modifying said hood. I know people have fit it on the ram air hood though. I have longtubes with ory and slp catback, sucker is loud but at just a cruise it gets kind of a drone... after a while it just wants to make you either smash your head in or romp on the throttle to change the note haha.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh the first LT1, aka the gateway drug. Id first get it looking nice and clean on the interior especially if you have to sit in it everyday.

As far as mods, start with the free ones, then work your way from cheapest to expensive.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Teching In

I here ya there the interior is goin to be one of the first things I do... It came with a new dash and head liner it really needs seats then that's done it's a 3rd vechical of mine... I wish I could build the motor now but I want to drive the car a little before I pull it apart where is a good place that re does seats or sells used ones? I know there is a guy in north tomawanda ny 5min from me but he has nothing right now
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Transmarrowbird94
I here ya there the interior is goin to be one of the first things I do... It came with a new dash and head liner it really needs seats then that's done it's a 3rd vechical of mine... I wish I could build the motor now but I want to drive the car a little before I pull it apart where is a good place that re does seats or sells used ones? I know there is a guy in north tomawanda ny 5min from me but he has nothing right now
That's good the headliner and dash is new, both are a pita and can be expensive to have done. Id suggest first finding an upholstery shop and try to have your seats 'rebuilt'. I've done this with other vehicles and turned out nice and saved a few bucks. If you want to build a motor, I would suggest start buying parts before you pull anything apart. When I put a new motor in my LT1 I had the whole motor complete before I pulled the old one out.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Transmarrowbird94
It also has original plugs and wires when I give it a tuneup whats a good plug wire combo to use like msd autolight?
I've had good luck with NGK plugs and Taylor wires. Throw a new coil on it for 45 bucks while your doing the tune up. Free mods and PM me your address and I'll send you a FREE airfoil. Open the air intake and exhaust slap on some 1.6 roller rockers and a quality tune.

Quick Reply: My first lt1