Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Want to paint car. Tips? What will I need?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Want to paint car. Tips? What will I need?

Can someone give me a check list of all the stuff I need to get and what all is involved in getting a car ready for paint? I'm wanting to paint it silver and it is pewter now.

1. What are all the supplies I need to get together?

2. What are the steps to prepping the car for paint?

3. Where is the best place to get quality silver paint that looks like the stock silver paint and for a good price?

My car is pewter now and I'm wanting to paint it silver. I won't be painting the car myself, but would like to learn a lot and get the car ready for paint. Talked to my dad who worked in a body shop for years and paints very well. And he has agreed to paint it if I get all the stuff ready.

Someone knowledgeable on paint please chime in and help me out! I'd really appreciate it!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Also painting engine bay myself. Any tips on that are much apreciated. I'm just going to rattle can the engine bay the best I can. I know is has to be cleaned well and "sanded" down somehow. Anymore advice on that would be appreciated also! thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are write-ups all over the internet and more informational books out there than a forum will ever be. Just go that route instead of someone taking time to quickly rush through a preparation list. Not trying to be rude, just saying your better off that route. As far as materials, learn about the high end products....they always have a cheaper "line" they sell such as Du-pont=nason, PPG=Shopline etc...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
there are write-ups all over the internet and more informational books out there than a forum will ever be. Just go that route instead of someone taking time to quickly rush through a preparation list. Not trying to be rude, just saying your better off that route. As far as materials, learn about the high end products....they always have a cheaper "line" they sell such as Du-pont=nason, PPG=Shopline etc...
Yea just looking for a starting point of where to look and stuff. 100% newb to painting, but if I read on it for awhile I'm sure I can learn it.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Yea just looking for a starting point of where to look and stuff. 100% newb to painting, but if I read on it for awhile I'm sure I can learn it.
thats the best way unless someone physically shows you. otherwise your going to miss crucial steps that someone might forget to mention
Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

try to go to a shop and tell them you'll work for free,clean up, or just watch.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by yodas little brother
try to go to a shop and tell them you'll work for free,clean up, or just watch.
Not much time to do that. I work 13+ hrs everyday lol
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

It's all according to what your body and old paint looks like also, do you need to do body work? Some good pics of the car would be helpful also. Will you be driving the car? Do you have a air compressor and all the tools to take the car apart? Let me know and I'll give you a decent overview of what you need to do.Also what's your budget for materials?

Quick Reply: Want to paint car. Tips? What will I need?