Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with nitrous build....totally nitrous n00b here, so help me spec it out

Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with nitrous build....totally nitrous n00b here, so help me spec it out

So I have a 408 that is built for nitrous. It can take up to 500 at most and would have to be real careful. I'm thinking of just doing 300-400 shot on it. I have the nitrous exhaust port on my TFS heads I picked up from TEA. I have 1 7/8 headers into full 3" exhaust. My fast intake is port mathed to the heads and runners opened up also. Went ahead and had it painted so want to keep the direct port nitrous design to look close to my color combo. I have the intake painted MBM and silver letters with Red "R". Thinking every other nut black and other nut blue. THen some blue colored lines also possibly. I can't deside if I a single or dual stage would be better. I know I need a direct port . So what all goodies and what best/most reliable way to do this. From convience of remote bottle openers or instead of bottle heaters run nano systems. I'm thinking (2) 12lb composite bottles or (2) 15 lb bottles so I can get enough runs in w/o having to swap out the bottles. How many runs do you think I'd get doing that? Anyway what would you run a bottle heater or nano system. I've also considered going with nitrous outlet but like to also get the general masses perspective also. You guys know what you have done and liked and seen and didn't like or possibly liked better, so what would you do to make this look good but function the best but also be simple. I know it wont be cheap but also dont want to end up spending the same amount I can do a custom turbo build or even a $7,000 procharger.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For all what you are talking, you are going to come close to what a turbo setup costs. For a shot that large I would recommend a direct port setup. Also since you are a I would suggest that you start off small with a plate system first and get a good handle on tuning that. You just can't start off with a 300 on a direct port or you can say to your motor.

Get a plate kit and read up on here.
Ask questions and alot of the big guys on here will answer (ATV, Camcam, Shiz, Carter01, few others I forgot)
At a later time, talk to Nitrous Outlet to get your direct port plumbed.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Ya I've already talked to Nitrous Outlet about plumbing it. The motor was built for nitrous. I understand tuning and the car has a wideband and I own HPTuners pro that is always connected. Plus how to read the plugs. Just trying to build the most ideal setup for that size of shot. At the laevel do you guys prefer nanon systems or bottle warmers? Should I do single or double stage setup? Stuff like that. I know I'm going to go through it quickly wiht that big of shot so wondering how long (2) 15lbs bottles will last.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id bet 2 passes max spraying that much on a 15lb bottle
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

So at 400 2 passes per 15 lb bottle? Damn thats going to add up quick. Planned on starting out at a 200 shot and work my way up from there. Depending on the races and indexs I can always pill down. Plus how much do think all this will cost? More than $7,000?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not sure about cost, i never really added it up. but i know after one pass my bottles were down about 3# of nitrous or so, i dont like running them empty. id say you'll be able to get around 3-4 passes on a 15 lb on 200. but i guess results could vary.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

On a 100 shot you burn a pound every 10 seconds. I'd expect about 8-9 1/4 mile passes. You wont be running the full 10 seconds(hopefully), so id think you're burning less than 3 lbs per pull. 1/8th mile passes you're burning much less as well. Real world results may vary...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

It would all be quarter mile passes. Start at 200 and work up to 400 or pill it for what ever index its running better at or has a better chance at winning. Brandon how much do you think it would cost to build a clean system to handle 200-400 shot? Everything plus accessories.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with nitrous build....totally nitrous n00b here, so help me spec it out