Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why do you want to turn off PE?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what it tells me to do to dial in my stft disable ltft and turn off pe to log my histgrams
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just change the enable map kpa to 640. That's what I do.

I also don't worry about disabling LTFT, I just copy both histograms (LTFT and STFT) 1 at a time and paste special-multiply by percent.

I often worried about if having PE disabled could cause a piston meltdown or anything but I believe since the extra PE timing isn't added it should be fine. Either way, I don't stay in the high load/high rpm areas for long without letting out.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000 TA owner
thats what it tells me to do to dial in my stft disable ltft and turn off pe to log my histgrams
What tells you to disable PE? If you are tuning the STFT's correctly you are never near PE.

Turning off LTFT's is fine if you know why you are doing that & how the work, do you?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctd
What tells you to disable PE? If you are tuning the STFT's correctly you are never near PE.

Turning off LTFT's is fine if you know why you are doing that & how the work, do you?
The method for STFT tuning in the "how to's" in this forum say to turn off PE. The reason for this is because the pcm stops using fuel trims when it enters PE.

How could you ever get the VE table correct for cells that are generally in PE if you didn't disable PE?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bowtie316

How could you ever get the VE table correct for cells that are generally in PE if you didn't disable PE?
OK, do it your way

Do you really want to tune @ Stoich when you should be in PE, isn't that hard on motor's? Yes the VE & MAF tables will tune just fine, same as if you set up the entire tune to run OL.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctd
Do you really want to tune @ Stoich when you should be in PE, isn't that hard on motor's? Yes the VE & MAF tables will tune just fine, same as if you set up the entire tune to run OL.
Well i was actually asking how, because I have never tuned that way, do you get the base VE tuned if you have PE on? I would assume you would have to set the tune to open loop, the create a histogram with comanded vs actual afr on a MAP vs rpm table? I haven't got that far yet.

I often wondered, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, if it is hard on the motor. I came to the conclusion that it is probably not since extra timing is not added, but I still try not to stay at high load/high rpm cells too long without backing out.

Actually running OL scares me more because you would have to spot an issue and back out prior to damage whereas in closed loop the PCM makes corrections much faster than I can.

I am new to tuning and am by no means an expert, just trying to help the OP out with the question asked.

Last edited by Bowtie316; 05-23-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

I would never tune with the PE turned off, you need fuel when you start loading the motor. So don't load the motor if tuning OL scares you, get someone to help tune Hi Load & WOT area's.

For you idle, part throttle & cruising condition's you can tune using the FT's quite nicely. If you are really out of wack with your combination start with STFT + LTFT's that will give you a 50% window.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ctd
I would never tune with the PE turned off, you need fuel when you start loading the motor. So don't load the motor if tuning OL scares you, get someone to help tune Hi Load & WOT area's.
See, this is what I'm not sure about. The stickied how-to on this site says to do it this way. I am going to start a new thread "CLICK HERE" because this has been on my mind lately and I don't want to crap in this thread anymore.

Originally Posted by ctd
For you idle, part throttle & cruising condition's you can tune using the FT's quite nicely. If you are really out of wack with your combination start with STFT + LTFT's that will give you a 50% window.
I agree with this fully, however, I continue to the higher rpm/load cells as well.

Last edited by Bowtie316; 05-24-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-disabled.html

Quick Reply: STFT tuning How to turn off pe