Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Added new hu..fine tuning questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added new hu..fine tuning questions.

Hi all, I had a kenwood x790 in my 02 z28 for about 7-8 years and decided to get a new one. At the time, the x790 was a upper level hu. I was going to get a pioneer 80 prs, but went with a kenwood x996 due to hd radio and price was too good to pass up. Soon as I turned it on, it sounded much better than the older x790. I'm running 4 infinity kappa 6.75s(62.7i) 2 ohm off the stock monsoon amp, ho alternator and old school mtx amp powering 2 memphis audio 10s in a flip box. Overall, with new hu, everything sounds much better, even the monsoon amp seems like its more powerfull now(not sure why, i even used my old kenwood connector) so nothing changed wiring wise. So heres my questions. I turned off all stupid sound enhancers, set my front crossovers at 70hz, back 70hz and sub 70 and below. The 13 band eq has q settings and slope and is really confusing me. I set the first 3 eq settings +2 +2 +2 then +1..rest 0 across. I really just need a starting point to go from. and slopes. thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rotwiler
I turned off all stupid sound enhancers, set my front crossovers at 70hz, back 70hz and sub 70 and below. The 13 band eq has q settings and slope and is really confusing me. I set the first 3 eq settings +2 +2 +2 then +1..rest 0 across. I really just need a starting point to go from. and slopes. thanks
slope is how many db the volume drops off per octave. play wit the slopes so that you can get your different speakers to blend well together without leaving heavy overlap in frequencies or any gaps in frequencies
Old 05-24-2013, 04:32 AM
TECH Addict

Personally I would raise the cutoff, atleast for the sub anyway, 70 is just to low in my book to top out the subs range, I set the one on my Pioneer at 125. been awhile since I've touched an EQ on that level and frankly I forget all the nuances of those settings.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

ah ok, so turn sub up.. should 70 be ok for the kappas or move up to 80 or? I wanted a lot of tuning options and now they are making me go crazy lol
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rotwiler
ah ok, so turn sub up.. should 70 be ok for the kappas or move up to 80 or? I wanted a lot of tuning options and now they are making me go crazy lol
you'll have to play that by ear, basically if you get bass distortion out of the door speakers at high volume then raise the HPF till the distortion goes away.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:25 AM
12 Second Club

ok, I did turn subs up to 120 and it does give a fuller sound(used hotel California to test and there is a spot at start with 3 drum beats that's sounded flat, changing it to 120hz brought the sound it is supposed to sound like back, Thanks.
I did notice my old hu had 5 volt outs and new has 4 volt, so the sub is not as loud, will have to turn up the amp a little. I may go with a 4 channel amp in car now, with a little more power than the monsoon amp, the monsoon does sound really good now with the new hu, but I noticed if I go up in the volume level, say 26 or over(max is 35) I get a unusual sound kind of like a gurgle tinny/hiss sound, is hard to explain, at 26 and below it sound very very good. Could that be the monsoon amp clipping?
Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 AM
12 Second Club

ok, skip my question about the Monsoon amp clipping, it is not the monsoon amp. The issue comes from certain mp3s, I can put 30 mp3s on a usb stick, all 320kbps format and 3 or 4 of them will have this weird tin sounding pitch at times, I am going to try to re process them and see if it helps. It just happens to be the same songs I was trying to tune the hu at first, so really threw me off, hopefully now I can fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Added new hu..fine tuning questions.