Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Strange noise from fuel pump / strong fuel odor from rear

Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strange noise from fuel pump / strong fuel odor from rear

I drove my 97 Formula yesterday and it seemed normal for the first 10 minutes. Then I started hearing a strange noise from the rear when idling (almost sounded like speaker feedback when you place the microphone too close to the speaker).

I shut down the car, waited a minute, then when I turned the key (no start), the fuel pump sounded horrible when it was priming!

The car starts and still drives fine, what should I expect if I ignore these sounds? Seems like it was on and off today, more noticeable at lower speeds. First time experiencing these noises.

The fuel pump was replaced just a year ago, and I don't think I put more than 3000 miles since that time. I opened the fuel cap and it was venting for a while. I closed it, waited 10 seconds, then opened again and it was continue to "vent".

After waiting an hour, I turn the key and pump prime sounded normal. Also started up and revved normal too.

Could it be the EVAP? I also noticed a pretty strong odor when I stopped the car but left it running for a minute.

Any ideas? It was quite hot and humid yesterday, and I don't usually drive the car much. Last time I drove it was about a week ago and it was fine.

If someone knows what I should be purchasing to correct this issue (I.e. charcoal canister, purge valve, etc), please let me know. I'd like to have this straightened out before next weekend (dealer's earliest appointment is next Wednesday (2 days after Memorial Day). Thanks!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you figure out the problem? I believe I'm having the same one in my 01 ss.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachDaniels
Did you figure out the problem? I believe I'm having the same one in my 01 ss.
I think I did. While the dealer found no issues with the EVAP hoses, as well as no codes, they did see very small cracks in the fuel cap gasket that I didn't see. So I replaced the gas cap and so far so good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange noise from fuel pump / strong fuel odor from rear