General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter Not Cranking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter Not Cranking

Hi folks, I have a 97 Formula LT1 6MT that doesn't start.

First off, I did a lot of searching but I'm not sure how to proceed- here are the details:

I only use it in the summer, it's a low mileage car that sits most of the time.

After the winter, I tried to start it and was met with the familiar sound of a battery not having enough juice and then "click, click, click".

I jump started it and let it run but it wouldn't start afterward, same dead battery sound.

I borrowed a "jump box" and the car fired right up.

Since then, nothing at all.

I thought maybe the battery was toast so I removed it and took it in for warranty replacement.

They said the battery was fine and sure enough it had ~90% of original CCA left in it.

This is where I'm lost. I checked all fuses (IP and underhood) and none have popped. I'm wondering if the jump box toasted a fusible link but I'm not sure where to start.

No security light, which tells me VATS is OK and I can hear a faint click from what sounds like the passenger side of the car and then no cranking at all.

I have a set of factory service manuals, but they seem to have conflicting information. One volume mentions fusible links and another mentions maxifuses.

If there are maxifuses, I'm sure as heck not finding them.

Anyone have any insight or a similar experience?

Thank you in advance- the weather is beautiful now and I want to take the Formula for a drive
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Even if they said the battery is ok......it still could be bad. Happens all the time. Put a friends battery in it and see what happens.

Otherwise, check the starter relays. Also, smack the starter with a hammer about 5 times and try it again. See if its freezing up from internal corrosion from sitting.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Can you still jump it?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will give the starter a few whacks once the weather clears up here in NY, but where are the relays?

As far as jumping it, no dice. That's what makes me think the jump box might have had something to do with it, maybe toasting a wire from the battery to the starter?

Quick Reply: Starter Not Cranking