Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Rollerized Output Shaft Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E Rollerized Output Shaft Upgrade

Purchased TCI 224400 Turbo 400 Torrington bearing with shims kit from a swap meet recently.

Will this kit work in the 4L80E output shaft?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, it will work. It's a highly recommended upgrade, and one I make on all 400's and 4L80E's that leave my shop.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the reply.

What output shaft end play are you using?
Are you keeping the end play to the tight side?

Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to tell you,my 4L80 had this done(not by previous poster) and started making whine noise approx 500 miles.Teardown revealed rear thrust bearing(torrington) coming apart,sounded just like a wheel bearing going out,no change in noise decel or accel.Replaced with standard bronze thrust,all is well.Personally not high on my list of "upgrades to 4L80" Just my personal experience,take it for what its worth !
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

I have hundreds of 4L80E's and TH400's running around with the Torrington bearing mod done to the rear of the gear train. No problems if done correctly.

I use an early 4L80E pump bushing (.550" wide) in place of the case bushing and drive it in from the rear of the case until it sits flush with the innermost land and then stake it like normal. This will give you maximum bushing surface area to support the output shaft as it exits the case, and will also cause the bushing to protrude inside the case just the right amount to center the Torrington bearing.

From there, you set up the rear section as normal and use the shims to dial in the end play. I like to set them up at about .008-.010" of rear section end play.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dynamic396
I have hundreds of 4L80E's and TH400's running around with the Torrington bearing mod done to the rear of the gear train. No problems if done correctly.

I use an early 4L80E pump bushing (.550" wide) in place of the case bushing and drive it in from the rear of the case until it sits flush with the innermost land and then stake it like normal. This will give you maximum bushing surface area to support the output shaft as it exits the case, and will also cause the bushing to protrude inside the case just the right amount to center the Torrington bearing.

From there, you set up the rear section as normal and use the shims to dial in the end play. I like to set them up at about .008-.010" of rear section end play.

Thank you for the info. I was thinking the roller bearing needed a place to register on the bushing.

Where do you stake the bushing? Red loctite good to use also?
Do you have a pic on a bushing install?

Thanks again for your help!

Mike
Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LongIsland63SS409
Thank you for the info. I was thinking the roller bearing needed a place to register on the bushing.

Where do you stake the bushing? Red loctite good to use also?
Do you have a pic on a bushing install?

Thanks again for your help!

Mike
I stake the bushing where it goes through the case, just like the factory did. You can use some Loctite green for good measure, if you want. I usually don't, but you could...

I don't have any pics right now, but I have a couple of '80E's to do in the next week or so, so I'll try to take some for you.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

I stake the bushing where it goes through the case, just like the factory did. You can use some Loctite green for good measure, if you want. I usually don't, but you could...

I don't have any pics right now, but I have a couple of '80E's to do in the next week or so, so I'll try to take some for you.
That would be great if you can take some pics.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Dynamic,

Were you able to take some pictures of the rollerized output shaft?

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: 4L80E Rollerized Output Shaft Upgrade