General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Slapping noise from under hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slapping noise from under hood

So I haven't really driven my 'Bird since December. I've started it up every few weeks, and it always runs great. Last few times though I've noticed a weird noise from the engine bay.

Only way I can describe it is a "slapping" noise. It sounds like someone is literally slapping something with a belt while the motor is running.

I checked the belts to make sure one wasn't coming apart and a frayed piece hitting something, but they look fine.

I haven't really looked at it too closely yet, I hope to get to it this weekend as the nice weather makes me want to drive the car.

This is going to sound strange, but since I got my '07 Volvo XC70 in Dec I've had little interest in driving the 'Bird. The Volvo just rides and drives SOOOOO much nicer. But now that t-top weather is upon us, I find myself missing the 'bird, so time to take it of mothballs.

Any suggestions on where to start looking would be much appreciated.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
This is going to sound strange, but since I got my '07 Volvo XC70 in Dec I've had little interest in driving the 'Bird. The Volvo just rides and drives SOOOOO much nicer.
This is strange.

I'd first suggest seeing a doctor then checking the radiator fans.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After mine sat for a while I heard a similar noise and it turned out to be the idler pulley.

I'd say first determine if the frequency of the slaps changes with RPM.
Then determine if the noise is outside of the engine or internal.

That may help narrow it down.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seriously, that Volvo is smooooth! I call it the *******' Wagon, lol. It handles pretty boaty and is nowhere near as fast as the Bird, nor does it sound anywhere near as good, but it's so comfy on the highway and has some of the best seats ever. And it hauls around my bikes w/out having to take off the front wheel.

Anyway, I'll check the fan, and the idler pulley.

I was thinking it might be the idler pulley, or the tensioner. When it's running I can see the tensioner wagging back and forth a very slight amount, I never noticed it before so I didn't know if it's normal or not. The plan was to remove the belts and one at a time and run it briefly to see if the noise stops.

The fan I hadn't though of, so that could be it as well. maybe something blew up in there while it was sitting, it's not in a garage but parked in the drive behind my parent's house.

I'm thinking the noise didn't increase much with added rpm, so maybe the fan is it.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is strange.

I'd first suggest seeing a doctor then checking the radiator fans.
I agree.

A Volvo might be safe, but someone with the name Stuntman Mike should really drive something a little more....death proof, like a 3rd gen Nova. And the slapping noise is probably the dead girl bouncing around in the passenger compartment. Might be time to drop her off.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Seriously, that Volvo is smooooth! I call it the *******' Wagon, lol. It handles pretty boaty and is nowhere near as fast as the Bird, nor does it sound anywhere near as good, but it's so comfy on the highway and has some of the best seats ever. And it hauls around my bikes w/out having to take off the front wheel.
I just threw up...

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
A Volvo might be safe, but someone with the name Stuntman Mike should really drive something a little more....death proof, like a 3rd gen Nova. And the slapping noise is probably the dead girl bouncing around in the passenger compartment. Might be time to drop her off.
and then I wet myself.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree.

LOL!

A 3rd gen Nova would be pretty sweet.

I didn't expect to get any positive comments on the Volvo, but it's a great DD...pretty good on gas and great in the snow. Decent get up and go from the 2.5 turbo too. And it's not like I traded the Formula in on it. Nothing wrong with having a DD that's actually practical.

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow if it's not raining, hopefully I'll figure it out w/out too much trouble.

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 05-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Save the manuals!

it's a great DD...pretty good on gas and great in the snow.
My Firebird is also a great DD and I drive it in snow all the time. That's really its native element.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
My Firebird is also a great DD and I drive it in snow all the time. That's really its native element.
Mine used to be a DD, but now that it's approaching 130K it's nice to keep the miles (and winter salt) off of it and just use it for fun.

And now I'm starting to think of some less than commuter friendly mods, like a converter and/or 3.73's

Quick Reply: Slapping noise from under hood