General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible blown head gasket

Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Possible blown head gasket

Well, the Firehawk looks to possibly have a blown head gasket. I have replaced almost everything that has anything to do with coolant on this damn thing: the heater core, the heater hose assembly, the coolant level indicator, the water pump, and a new camshaft gear drive seal to the water pump.

Just got the car back from my mechanic a few days ago, and I thought there was a lot of excessive whine coming from the belt, and I also thought the car was starting to burn oil. I took it back right away to get these problems checked out. Got a call back after about a day and he tells me that the car is not burning oil, but may be burning coolant. He is doing a dye test and a few other things to confirm or rule out whether the head gasket is blown, but if it is I am wondering how much this would set me back. I do not have the tools, personal time, or skills to do this so I would have to take it to a shop.

A friend of mine (who is not exactly an automotive expert or mechanic. At all.) tried telling me I am screwed and will be out $5-6k. I told him that sounded ridiculous as that is a little over half of my car's sale value. I could get a new motor for that much! Any ideas on how much I can expect a head gasket job to violate my bank account? I am still waiting to hear back with a diagnosis, but am expecting the worst right now.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

To replace both head gaskets. Shops around here charge anywhere between $1950-$2500.

About 20 hours book time.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your somewhat mechanically minded and have the tools, id DIY.
There's probably videos on youtube on it or at least a v8 to give you a idea of the process.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5-6 grand lol, bout a 1500- 1650 job , imo if your paying that its a very good time to upgrade h/c ,
Old 01-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperb
To replace both head gaskets. Shops around here charge anywhere between $1950-$2500.

About 20 hours book time.

HOLY ****......that's crazy.

My friend came over my house and in my driveway he had both heads off my 427ci in about 2.5 hours. Had them rebuilt in 4 days and he came back over and it took him about 3.5 hours to put it all back together......

I gave him like $300.00 IIRC.......

It's so damn easy that next time I'll do it myself.......

Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioZ
Well, the Firehawk looks to possibly have a blown head gasket. I have replaced almost everything that has anything to do with coolant on this damn thing: the heater core, the heater hose assembly, the coolant level indicator, the water pump, and a new camshaft gear drive seal to the water pump.

Just got the car back from my mechanic a few days ago, and I thought there was a lot of excessive whine coming from the belt, and I also thought the car was starting to burn oil. I took it back right away to get these problems checked out. Got a call back after about a day and he tells me that the car is not burning oil, but may be burning coolant. He is doing a dye test and a few other things to confirm or rule out whether the head gasket is blown, but if it is I am wondering how much this would set me back. I do not have the tools, personal time, or skills to do this so I would have to take it to a shop.

A friend of mine (who is not exactly an automotive expert or mechanic. At all.) tried telling me I am screwed and will be out $5-6k. I told him that sounded ridiculous as that is a little over half of my car's sale value. I could get a new motor for that much! Any ideas on how much I can expect a head gasket job to violate my bank account? I am still waiting to hear back with a diagnosis, but am expecting the worst right now.

Before you go get ripped off by a shop........see if there's someone in the local car club that is looking to make some extra cash. Offer them $300-$400, that is all that job is worth.

Anyone can do it that has done it before......it's actually very easy. Just have a lot of bolts to remove and then put those same bolts back on. That's all there is to it. Torquing them down right is the only technical part about it......and a chimp can do that......

Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

It depends on where the gasket is blown, and how much damage is done. If it lets go between the cylinders, it will cut a channel through the aluminum like a blow torch. If the damage is limited to the head, that's not that big of a deal, and is usually easily welded up and milled flat.

But if the block deck is damaged, then it gets real expensive. The block has to be stripped to nothing, welded, and decked. That's where the expense is.

If the block is damaged, you might just consider a crate engine. More money for the parts, but a lot less money in labor.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by .boB
It depends on where the gasket is blown, and how much damage is done. If it lets go between the cylinders, it will cut a channel through the aluminum like a blow torch. If the damage is limited to the head, that's not that big of a deal, and is usually easily welded up and milled flat.

But if the block deck is damaged, then it gets real expensive. The block has to be stripped to nothing, welded, and decked. That's where the expense is.

If the block is damaged, you might just consider a crate engine. More money for the parts, but a lot less money in labor.
THIS!!! Been there done that with another brand(FORD) cough cough. If this were the case Id be looking for a used engine 6.0, 5.3 It will get you going again for probably a lot less than a rebuild if its anything more than just gaskets and headbolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible blown head gasket