Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

shaft mounted rocker arms...did I waste my money

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaft mounted rocker arms...did I waste my money

I don't post on this forum much but I do a lot of reading....I cant seem to find what I am looking for this time, maybe someone can give me an answer. I've always been under the impression you can gain a few from shaft mounted roller rockers so I just bought a set of Harland Sharp's...1.71 ratio. A ported Fast 102 is also on the way. I purchased the rockers thinking id see a few more hp after my retune for the Fast manifold. I just read an older post on here thats got me worried...Stating I will actually loose power. True or false? Any input would be great.

here are a few details of what these are going in...

LS2 GTO with an MS3 112 lsa cam, lunati double springs, manley pushrods kooks longtubes, 25% underdrive pulley, double roller, slp oil pump, ect ect ect...car made 431 rwhp/ 411rwtq before....
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More power prob not.

They are heavier than a stocker and will float the valves sooner. Not sure what the specs are on that cam. I use those springs and they are a good spring.

Tim
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
More power prob not.

They are heavier than a stocker and will float the valves sooner. Not sure what the specs are on that cam. I use those springs and they are a good spring.

Tim
Thanks for the input...the cam is 237/243 .605/ .611 112+1 lsa...As long as the valves don't float, you don't think I will loose power from the little bit of extra weight right?! If I can get perfect valvetrain geometry Id say they worth keeping. I may sell if it seems like I'm gonna loose any power.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YT's quite possibly have the WORST track record of all the rocker arms followed by HS.

Stock with trunion upgrade, much lighter, strong, keeps geometry, and unless you have bronze guides and require a roller rocker, then jesel is where its at.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd go ahead and sell them.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
YT's quite possibly have the WORST track record of all the rocker arms followed by HS.

Stock with trunion upgrade, much lighter, strong, keeps geometry, and unless you have bronze guides and require a roller rocker, then jesel is where its at.
Yells Terra had one bad batch on the old style rockers. Their new style hasn't had any issues, is stronger, and is lighter over the valve (close to OE weight but not less)

I'm going to be running the YT because my valve guides will be bronze and my cam is .629" lift. I have heard that anything over .550 lift (so pretty much every cam out there) the geometry will never be 'perfect' with the OE rockers. Not saying this will cause you issues. Ymmv.

OP if you bought them for HP sell them and spend your money elsewhere. A 102 TB would get you more than the rockers.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 05-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: shaft mounted rocker arms...did I waste my money