Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misc. things needed for header install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Misc. things needed for header install?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...stem-ceramic-/

Ok, finally have the cash to go ahead and get these. I see it comes with the gaskets, O/R Y and mounting hardware, but not sure if I get the 02 extensions with it so I'm looking to get those as well. After doing some reading, from what I understand, isn't that everything I need? Anything I'm missing? Also if someone has any suggestions on some decent 02 extensions that would be great.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BBK kit comes with all the hardware you need, but I would re-use your stock MLS manifold gaskets, the ones in the BBK kit are prone to leaking. You will need 02 extensions, I got mine from the WS6Store as well. Also, depending on your catback, you may need a 3" OD/3" ID exhaust coupler, the BBK ORY is the same diameter as the stock I-pipe. Other, than that, you're good to go! I hope this helps, ask any other questions you may have.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, I appreciate it man. And yeah, I've heard about the catback issue, I have a Magnaflow and I'm going to have a shop do the install/tune so I'm not going to worry about the coupler at the moment. Pretty sure they can get that sorted out.

Let me ask you this, do I need 2 of the 24" extensions or maybe another size? Because that's all I see on WS6store. Also, I still have the AIR and EGR and don't really care for removing it, am I able to just leave it as is and have the headers put in with no issues?

I feel stupid asking these amateur questions, I read all kinds of builds and everything on here but I'm just now getting the funds to actually start putting my junk together. So I have to make sure I'm doing everything right, LOL.

Last edited by TransAmWS.6; 05-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely do the motor mounts and plugs and wires. It's only 150 for all that stuff. The mounts and a pita but will save you in the long run.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I changed my plugs/wires not even 15k miles ago, so they should still be alright for the time being.

Already bought the motor mounts and headers, now I need to figure out what size and kind of 02 extensions I need and also buy a set of the GM gaskets, then I'll be ready to have them installed
Old 05-25-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice man! I'm gonna order mine in a few weeks. Once I get paid I'm gonna order the misc **** and get the headers last
Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to do headers and Ypipe I would suggest also doing an electronic diverter (I have the noweeds.net one on my SS only dual butterfly unit on the market) -- volume control from the cabin. Try it, you'll like it.

Also, I would definitely get a catted Ypipe or add some high-flow cats, your exhaust will sound better and not raspy...
Old 05-25-2013, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Cool, I appreciate it man. And yeah, I've heard about the catback issue, I have a Magnaflow and I'm going to have a shop do the install/tune so I'm not going to worry about the coupler at the moment. Pretty sure they can get that sorted out.

Let me ask you this, do I need 2 of the 24" extensions or maybe another size? Because that's all I see on WS6store. Also, I still have the AIR and EGR and don't really care for removing it, am I able to just leave it as is and have the headers put in with no issues?

I feel stupid asking these amateur questions, I read all kinds of builds and everything on here but I'm just now getting the funds to actually start putting my junk together. So I have to make sure I'm doing everything right, LOL.
I got the 24" extensions for both sides, they worked out fine on my end. As far as the AIR/EGR, the BBKs are "race" style and do not have the provisions to bolt the tubes on. Honestly, it doesn't take any time at all to remove the system, it just looks like a lot of stuff is all. You could leave it all in if you really wanted and have no issues, but your engine bay will look a whole lot better if you (or have the install shop) spend the 10 mins removing it IMO.

Don't feel bad for asking questions, that's what this forum is all about! It's better to ask now, rather than having to figure out you don't have something vital right in the middle of your install
Old 05-25-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can the AIR hoses be plugged off if left in, or do they need a breather on both sides?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
If you're going to do headers and Ypipe I would suggest also doing an electronic diverter (I have the noweeds.net one on my SS only dual butterfly unit on the market) -- volume control from the cabin. Try it, you'll like it.

Also, I would definitely get a catted Ypipe or add some high-flow cats, your exhaust will sound better and not raspy...
Thanks for the suggestion, I looked it up and that thing looks cool, but to be honest I absolutely don't have the cash for that, lol.

I thought about doing a catted Y but I've heard the setup my car is about to have in person on an M6 and I guess I'm in the minority here but I fell in love with the way it sounded.

Originally Posted by LunarWillow
I got the 24" extensions for both sides, they worked out fine on my end. As far as the AIR/EGR, the BBKs are "race" style and do not have the provisions to bolt the tubes on. Honestly, it doesn't take any time at all to remove the system, it just looks like a lot of stuff is all. You could leave it all in if you really wanted and have no issues, but your engine bay will look a whole lot better if you (or have the install shop) spend the 10 mins removing it IMO.

Don't feel bad for asking questions, that's what this forum is all about! It's better to ask now, rather than having to figure out you don't have something vital right in the middle of your install

Great, I ordered the 24" extensions, I'll probably end up having them remove the EGR/AIR depending on how much extra they charge me, I know I'm already going to be getting the shaft here as is with just the header install/tune lol

I got new GM MLS gaskets, the 24" extensions and bought new TR55's so I believe I'm set. Probably have everything on the car in the next 4-5 weeks. Thanks everyone for the help!

Quick Reply: Misc. things needed for header install?