Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the flexplate be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should the flexplate be upgraded?

I'm about to order a converter for my 2000 T/A and was wondering if I should upgrade the flexplate to an SFI rated one or if it would be ok staying with the stock unit. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If nothing is wrong with the stock FP, you will be fine.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lemons12
If nothing is wrong with the stock FP, you will be fine.
Cool, that will save some cash during the swap then. At what power levels would you think it necessary to make the move to a rated plate?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would pay more attention to the ET you are running VS what the rule book states (if your track checks it).

I have seen cars making 600+ run them for many many passes and tons of street miles with no issues.

Hughes are cheap and SFI rated. Pay attention when buying an aftermarket FP though... Most of them are packaged 3-4 different ways and sold under different companies/names but are the same product. Price for them can vary by 20-50$.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

I would pay more attention to the ET you are running VS what the rule book states (if your track checks it).

I have seen cars making 600+ run them for many many passes and tons of street miles with no issues.

Hughes are cheap and SFI rated. Pay attention when buying an aftermarket FP though... Most of them are packaged 3-4 different ways and sold under different companies/names but are the same product. Price for them can vary by 20-50$.
I haven't actually pulled any track time yet, waiting until I get more things sorted out so I am more confident it won't blow up on me half way down the lane. It was more of a "while I am in there, should it be upgraded" type deal.

I was looking at the Yank plate since it is rated and comes in at a decently good price since that is where I am ordering the converter from.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
I haven't actually pulled any track time yet, waiting until I get more things sorted out so I am more confident it won't blow up on me half way down the lane. It was more of a "while I am in there, should it be upgraded" type deal.

I was looking at the Yank plate since it is rated and comes in at a decently good price since that is where I am ordering the converter from.
I'm sure Lemons12 is right that the stock flexplate can handle 600hp for a long time, but I had no confidence in it and immediately upgraded to an SFI. Yes, Yank has a good price on one. Considering the hassle and expense in replacing a flexplate, a fair number of reports here of cracked flexplates, I would suggest putting in an SFI. Peace of mind if nothing else. Also, take a picture of it and its SFI label in case your track speed (under 11.0 ?) ever requires its.
Just IMO, not based on any facts.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Decadence75

Yank-repackaged... It is a CAT flex plate IIRC.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I'm sure Lemons12 is right that the stock flexplate can handle 600hp for a long time, but I had no confidence in it and immediately upgraded to an SFI. Yes, Yank has a good price on one. Considering the hassle and expense in replacing a flexplate, a fair number of reports here of cracked flexplates, I would suggest putting in an SFI. Peace of mind if nothing else. Also, take a picture of it and its SFI label in case your track speed (under 11.0 ?) ever requires its.
Just IMO, not based on any facts.
Just a FWIW... I have seen more aftermarket FPs crack than stock plates. Just personal experience.

You hear of a ton online, not so many in every day.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Just a FWIW... I have seen more aftermarket FPs crack than stock plates. Just personal experience.

You hear of a ton online, not so many in every day.
Thanks for the update/corrections. Always glad to learn more.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Hughes or the Circle-D Reactor. All others aren't right. Difference between those two? Stamped steel and billet aluminum...
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically stock motor here and my flexplate cracked in multiple places. i put a tci sfi approved plate. cost me $100 and is cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

If you are going to drop and upgrade your trans, you may as well upgrade the plate since it is right there. I did. Plus, if you want more hp in the future, having the plate upgraded already will be one less hassle.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I've thought about going with the CircleD/Reactor, but it's way overkill. I may just end up with the Hughes and some ARP bolts...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I swapped to an early-years flexplate because the
later ones were cracking too often for my liking the
odds. The ones with a circular cutout are good,
the ones with a kidney shaped cutout are not so.
Can't remember when they changed over. Eyeball
yours through the inspection cover and see what
you've got, if you can't find the info online somewhere.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I went ahead and ordered one with the converter. I figure that it is cheap insurance while I am in there and if the stock one is fine I will sit it on the shelf as a spare if ever needed for a quick fix. I'll also be putting in ARP converter and flexplate bolts.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Get a SFI flexplate!!!

Quick Reply: Should the flexplate be upgraded?