Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

New engine for our CP car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine for our CP car

We just recently took delivery of a new LS engine for our 3rd Gen Firebird. I'm now gathering all the miscellaneous bits needed to put this thing in the car. We got essentially a long block, and are in need of just about every peripheral that bolts to the engine:
steam vent tubes (LS1 or LS6)
knock sensors and covers (LS1)
valve covers with PCV provisions
and other things I'm discovering we need on a daily-basis.

Where can I get this stuff? I've been searching online and I'm finding a dizzying array of bits and pieces to get. It would be nice to find a one-stop-shop to get this stuff. It seems like all the classifieds here and elsewhere are selling either big parts (heads, blocks, etc.), or entire engine assemblies. The local junk yards don't seem to have much LS stuff hanging around for long. I can get V6 parts all day long, though.

We'll be going carbed, and already have the front drive on the engine. I think I'll be getting the Weger Motorsports front drive kits, as that'll have everything we'll need to get the front accessories mounted. We'll be running a TH350, so I also need a flexplate and spacer, I guess. We already have the Hawks 3rd Gen swap headers. I _think_ I have workable motor mounts, but won't know until the engine is dangling off the end of a hoist and the engine is sitting over the K-member to know for sure.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't need knock sensor with the carb. Just get an LS6 style valley cover cause it already has the PCV vent. It is suppose to be baffled better than the valve covers. That's why GM switched to it.

Nook and tranny is a good place for everything.

http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/merchant.mvc
Old 05-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I know I don't _need_ the knock sensors, I just need something to cover those pockets in the factory valley cover. They'll soon fill with gravel if we don't cover them, so I thought that the factory knock sensors with their covers would do the trick. Or are the sensors separate from the covers?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The ls6 cover is flat if I remember right. If not just have one machined from aluminum.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Or just cover the knock sensor holes with the stock plastic hole covers. Use a bit of sealant.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Or just cover the knock sensor holes with the stock plastic hole covers. Use a bit of sealant.
Where can you get those covers? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had trouble keeping the small rubber plugs in unless I used super glue. It seemed to hold up.

Then I made one, local scrapyard has aluminum pieces in 6 inches wide, which is what you need. Its 1/4 inch thick, little thinner than the stock one, but gives more room for the coolant tubes if you have one. It was 13 bucks for two foot of it. Its polished in the pic, but I later made it brushed
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Nice. Yeah, I've seen some aftermarket units that are smooth. I guess I can also go that route. Something like this:

http://s41657.storefront-solutions.c...l.aspx?ID=3287

It's a bit more than $13 and a couple of hours labor, though. :-/

So is that the LS1 steam vent assembly? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would prob be cheaper to just buy a junkyard 4.8/5.3 for ~$400 and then strip all the stuff you need and then sell the long block, those little parts add up real quick!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually got the vent tube off an early model truck at the junkyard. I was gonna buy an aftermarket valley cover but can't bring myself to pay that much for one
Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What is a CP car? I would probably agree with wild camaro on tidbits. Buy a complete pull out, rob the parts, then sell off the rest. Might even make a buck in the process.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy
Yeah, I know I don't _need_ the knock sensors, I just need something to cover those pockets in the factory valley cover. They'll soon fill with gravel if we don't cover them, so I thought that the factory knock sensors with their covers would do the trick. Or are the sensors separate from the covers?
I bought an Edelbrock cover with no knock sensor bosses in it, it looks nice & works good. I don't remember exactly what I spent on it, but I think it was just over 100 bucks. I'v also seen guys use a peice of 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum & just drill it themselves, doesn't look as good, but gets the job done.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not trying to start a pissin match, some of us may take offense to the not looking as good part. Mine looks just as good as the bought stuff, and I can take more pride because I made it. I have some pics where it looks like a mirror, but then I just wanted a duller look so I made it brushed.

Not seeing paying 85 dollars more for it? I can easily get an edlebrock sticker on it and powder coat it for less than 100 bucks. Or an emblem like I posted above. I can even get the lsx or whatever engraved on there with a waterjet. All the holes/edges are exactly the same as the stocker, used it as a template.

Sorry for the thread derail

Last edited by snook; 05-27-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Man, that's nice. I'll take one!!

Originally Posted by snook
Not trying to start a pissin match, some of us may take offense to the not looking as good part. Mine looks just as good as the bought stuff, and I can take more pride because I made it. I have some pics where it looks like a mirror, but then I just wanted a duller look so I made it brushed.

Not seeing paying 85 dollars more for it? I can easily get an edlebrock sticker on it and powder coat it for less than 100 bucks. Or an emblem like I posted above. I can even get the lsx or whatever engraved on there with a waterjet. All the holes/edges are exactly the same as the stocker, used it as a template.

Sorry for the thread derail
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

It's a SCCA C Prepared autocross car.

And that's starting to look like the right option.

Originally Posted by newschool72
What is a CP car? I would probably agree with wild camaro on tidbits. Buy a complete pull out, rob the parts, then sell off the rest. Might even make a buck in the process.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man I wish I could, he has 100 ft of the 6 inch aluminum plate at the scrapyard. I had thought about making them and selling them for around 50 bucks. Unfortanetly, I have 2-3 broke vertabrae in my lower back, so Im kinda sidelined for now. Thats why I just troll on here in my recliner and laptop, lol
Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another option would be to take your stock LS1 valley cover to a welding shop and if you did the prep work then I'll bet it would cost all of $20 for them to weld up the knock sensor holes.

If you want to run a PCV then IMO getting one with the valley vent is worth the extra coin.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Another option would be to take your stock LS1 valley cover to a welding shop and if you did the prep work then I'll bet it would cost all of $20 for them to weld up the knock sensor holes.

If you want to run a PCV then IMO getting one with the valley vent is worth the extra coin.
I'm definitely running a PCV. Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by snook
Man I wish I could, he has 100 ft of the 6 inch aluminum plate at the scrapyard. I had thought about making them and selling them for around 50 bucks. Unfortanetly, I have 2-3 broke vertabrae in my lower back, so Im kinda sidelined for now. Thats why I just troll on here in my recliner and laptop, lol
Dang. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you're back on the mend.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy
Dang. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you're back on the mend.
Thanks, its a slow go right now.

My buddy took one of these, drilled a hole in his valley plate, put two nuts and some rtv on it, and clamped an 1 1/4 breather on it. If you want it nicer looking, weld the bottom of it and leave the top without a nut or weld so it looks cleaner.

Chrome-Plated Brass Pipe Fitting, Nipple, Schedule 40, 1/2" NPT X 4" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Chrome-Plated Brass Pipe Fitting, Nipple, Schedule 40, 1/2" NPT X 4" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Quick Reply: New engine for our CP car