Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Maybe BCM? I'm stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe BCM? I'm stumped.

So I am in the middle of a fiasco of getting my car painted, had a guy work on it who turned out to be pretty shady... anyway he's in jail without any means of contacting him feasibly, so its left up to me to sort it out.

The interior lights don't come on anymore when you open the doors/hatch or use the rheostat switch to turn all the cabin lights on. When you use the master switch you can hear what sounds like a relay click, but nothing comes on. But windows and radio still work fine (although I do have a 5 channel setup that completely avoids the Monsoon amp.)

Additionally, the flip up headlights do not stay up anymore when you bring them up fully and then flick it back over to 'parking lights'; as soon as you bring the setting back to parking lights the headlights go back to the down position. Not sure if these two issues are interconnected, or if there is a good place to start on getting it fixed. All ideas/questions are welcome.

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*DISCLAIMER*
I have no ******* clue what I am talking about.

I had an issue in my 99 t/a where the drivers side head light would be slow to switch to bright.. for example *click*..............2 seconds...... oh there it is. Well my head light motor went out and i replaced it and found the plug was corroded as **** and after I replaced the headlight motor assy. (comes with new plug) it work's fine now.. just sayin.

I had BCM issues with the radio and window motors like most. Pulled the BCM in a matter of minutes.. don't let some of these jack waggons fool you it isnt hard to take out.. and i had two solders broken.. re soldered it and all is well so if i were you id just pull it and visually inspect for cashed solders.

my two cents.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had radio/window issues a year ago or so, I've been there and done that.

Doing the work isn't hard, I'm just stumped as to where I should start to try and fix it.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

This would have to be two unrelated problems since the courtesy lights are controlled by the BCM and the headlight doors are controlled by a module under the hood.

First, check the COURTESY fuse #8. Next, does the radio turn off when you open the door after turning off the ignition? If so, we can assume the door switch is okay. Do the map lights work? They use the same power feed from the BCM but an independent ground. If they work then you can safely assume that the problem is with the variable ground provided by the BCM (the BCM controls the courtesy lights by varying the ground so that it can create the theater dimming effect). The problem could be internal to the BCM or it could be a bad connection of the white wire in position D1 of the blue 32-pin BCM connector. There have been reports of loose wires in that connector.

As far as the headlight door, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-working.html. It isn't the same problem but the testing procedure is the same. The headlight doors are designed to remain in the open position even with an absence of power (in fact they have to work that way by federal law) so the only way they would retract is if the headlight door module is powering the motor to close. It would do that if it thought all the lights were being turned off so check the brown wire at the headlight door module for power while the lights are on (that's the parking light feed). I suspect you'll find there isn't any power there so the module thinks the lights are off and closes the doors.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you very much WhiteBird, as usual you are a great up.

Yeah, the guy who painted my car just jacked everything up. Luckily someone else stepped in and called in a favor for me.

I guess the only thing left to resolve is to figure out why both power door locks don't work

Quick Reply: Maybe BCM? I'm stumped.