Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SDCE tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SDCE tensioner question

Guys, recently I have lost boost, was at 11-12 lbs, now I see a 7-8 lb spike, then 4-5 with belt squeal. I have the SDCE tensioner with the head unit brace in place. I haven't had any boost issues since this was assembled several years ago, granted its not a DD. I did eat one belt a year ago and had to install a new one, which was interesting to do the way this bracket attaches and the belt route, lots of fun, lol! I've been under the car and manually pulled down on the procharger belt and it seems to move the tensioner rather easily. Has anyone had to re-do the preload? Seems odd it hasn't happened before now. Other thing, I don't think the belt has stretched because the tensioner wheel is still close enough to the stop that I have to free up the stationary tensioner to remove the belt from the crank pulley, won't get over the outside edge by just pulling the tensioner pulley. And if you have had to re-do the preload, how did you go about accomplishing that with all the fans, hoses, general crap in the front of these cars? The SDCE instructions say to set pre load the belt must be off the crank pulley, which makes you have to crank the tensioner unit that much further with one hand, and yes I have the "tool" if you want to call it that, while loosening the center tensioner bolt and retightening it after pre load, by yourself, wheh that was a long sentence.
Am I not checking any other things that may be the cause? Belt squeal is loud and it wasn't before, so I'm assuming this is the culprit. Fins on the belt feel good, it's a NAPA brand. The crank pulley is SDCE, the head unit pulley is procharger, not Reichard or anything special. Any comments will be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try a new belt and adjust it tight as you can. sounds like you have had that belt a while now while changing it look for signs of anything. check for boost leaks too.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that would be a quick test. Currently it has a NAPA micro-v AT. Previously I ran a Gates micro-v Green Stripe, but this one did self destruct after a good while. Is there a better belt on the market in anyone's experience?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to set the tension, then drive it for a day or so then re-adjust it.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Send me a PM if you want me to make you one of these, The going rate is $10 for the shipping. https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...oner-guys.html

Quick Reply: SDCE tensioner question